• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Reversal

Hello all. Ok so I need some answers from anyone out there who has had the reversal after 7 mths of a ostomy bag. Wondering how you felt afterwards, how long for the healing, how often you had to go to the washroom, eating certain foods and if they bothered you, Meds and warfarin( If you had to be on them at all) I heard that you always have to rush to the washroom and that you lose self control. That your bottom gets very sore from all the wiping, etc,etc. If anyone can help with this I would so appreciate. I am looking forward to the reversal and can only hope that all goes well.

Terriernut

I was wondering, since you have UC if they are doing the Jpouch for you?

From others I've heard the urgency can be an issue. But I've got crohns, so I am not familiar with reversal for UC patients. Sorry!

I have my crohn's just about everywhere, my reversal was 5 years ago now. Overall, I don't think there has really been a change in frequency for me - I was going 15+ times daily before, and will now have anywhere between 4-10 per day now. There likely will be a readjustment period for you, I believe I had one but I don't recall it that clearly. I do recall and still get "friction burn" on my butt from the wiping. Since the reversal, I have had more solid movements in that five years than I had in the previous 10 before the period with the bag. I think the involvement in your colon will be the determining factor. I would think that you should make a real effort to use some probiotics as soon as you can after surgery to get good flora going again, and I think that will really help.

Take care, hope it goes well for you. For as much as I appreciated what the bag did for me, and I will confess to A LOT of relief, I was certainly glad to be rid of it.

Thanks Terrienut for some wise info you have provided for as long as i've been on this site, and thanks to you r reply Shamrock15. I had my colon removed except for a small amt which enables the reversal. I am lactose intolerant so i avoid those foods. And yes Terrienut I was told that I would have a J Pouch. I have heard mostly good things about the J Pouch so Im keeping my fingers crossed.