• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

RMAT-Regenerative Medicine Advanced Therapy

My name is Dan. I had Crohn's disease since about age 6, 1955. I am 73 years old 2022. Diagnosed having Crohn's disease in 1968. Surgery 1969 resected 2/3rds my small bowels and about 1.5 feet of my colon. Left me with 6 feet of small bowels average length is about 15 feet. In 1973 Crohn's disease came back. I had numerous Hospital stays in the 70's 80's and 90's. I was put on all available drugs at that time which was 18 then, now over 40 drugs available. I had another resection in April 1996 resected 1foot small bowels left me 5 feet. In 1997 Crohn's came back with vengeance. Unable to work, went on disability permanently. I researched on the internet for treatments for Crohn's disease. Found REMICADE was used in clinical trials in Canada by another gastro at same hospital that I went to. I was transferred to other gastro. I did not want to go on the trial (they give a placebo or Remicade) patient does not know which one you are getting). Since Health Canada had not approve Remicade yet, I had to get permission from Health Canada and pay for the drug out of pocket $9, 500.00 for two infusions Dec. 1998 and April 1999. Remicade shut down my immune system and could not absorb any food-nutrients. I was put on a feeding tube for 30 to 40 days. Possible side effects of Remicade reduced kidney function and kidney cancer which I got both. My kidney function has been 25% since 2008. I had kidney cancer tumors burned by RF Ablations 2007 and 2016. In the year 2000 I Read about the RMAT treatment by doctors in Melbourne Australia. They were using up to 5 of the most powerful antibiotics available plus 3 different compounds of probiotics. Found Dr. Ira Shafran Gastro who has clinic in Florida treats patients with inflammatory bowel disease only. Dr. Shafran was treating patients with great success. 50% full remissions, 25% semi-remissions and last 25% kept it in check. After the RMAT treatment 18 moths long, have to be on 2 antibiotics Ciprofloxacin and Metronidazole forever to control Crohn's disease. I phoned Dr. Shafran 1-800 number to make an appointment. Dr. Shafran came and spoke to me on phone, said Dan you don't have to come to Florida I will fax prescription to your gastro and he can prescribe it. It took me 9 months to convince my gastro to prescribe the RMAT treatment. I was on RMAT treatment (Rifabutin and Biaxin and 3 probiotics 18 moths) but since I saw the treatment was working, I convinced my gastro to stay on treatment up to 30 months.
After the treatment I was put back on 2 antibiotics Ciprofloxacin and Metronidazole and 5 mg prednisone for life. Crohn's is in remission and I have not been hospitalized for Crohn's disease since RMAT treatment which ended in 2002. The RMAT treatment worked for me. I don't know if it will benefit everyone or just some people with Crohn's disease. If you have tried all or most of the other available drugs, it's worth considering. It's your call.

Last edited: