• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Rookie to forum

I was diagnosed a few years ago after a nearly year-long flare that resulted in an abscess surgery. I was 42 at the time. The new doc described for me the various ways the disease presents symptoms and the fact that it's a condition people are born with. I then realized I spent a lifetime repressing and hiding my symptoms because, as a child, I was humiliated by my siblings and parents by being labeled a "s-t-p"...and my mom was a nurse!! They were an otherwise caring family but jeez, they really screwed up on this one. Talk about psych baggage. Anyways, I stumbled upon this forum as I was searching for general wellness info. I saw information that surprised me. Some sites suggested Crohn's had an affect on concentration and attention. The year prior to my diagnosis, a person recommended I seek an evaluation for ADHD. I was labeled with ADHD and prescribed Adderall then switched to Vyvanse. I discontinued on my own after several months because they're just plain crazy meds. I also had some episodes while on the meds that interrupted my speech and vision momentarily. These interruptions eventually occurred again...as a significant stroke. Docs confirmed that I had several earlier strokes. I'm now visually impaired as a result - Hominous Heminopsia. Can't drive, which sucks cause I have a 9 year old son. I don't know if I'm asking a question, or, just venting. I suppose I'll ask for verification or connections with...attention issues and stroke with crohn's .

scottsma

Welcome Mike,I'm glad you found us and I'm sure you will be too.I,personally can't advise you, but I'm sure someone will be along soon who can help you.This is THE best forum for IBD,ers.I just wanted to say Hi,on behalf of everyone.