• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Rotavirus vaccine for crohnie's kid

Hi everyone, my husband has crohn's disease and is currently stable on Remicade and methotrexate. We had a baby in December and she is due to get her Rotavirus vaccine dose 1 now. Her pediatrician and my husband's gastroenterologist were concerned since it's a live virus vaccine. They have come to a decision that she will get the vaccine and her father should be careful around her. He shouldn't change her diapers for 2-3 weeks and he should wear gloves and a mask if he wants to hold her. We are ok with not changing her diapers but gloves and mask seem too far. Anyone have any insights on this?

Thanks MLP. our baby is getting the vaccine tomorrow. I hope both of them will be okay. Dh won't be handling her diapers for 3 weeks. It's the mask and gloves that bother him.

I wonder about some of these vaccines, especially giving live vaccines to very young kids. I'd consider getting a second opinion because there are two red flags here to me - the live vaccine in general and exposure to your husband.