• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Round ligament pain or flare??

Hi Everyone!

It's been ages since I've posted here. My question is to the moms out there.

I'm 17 1/2 weeks pregnant and have started to feel pain in my lower left

abdomen/groin. I've read that this is most likely round ligament pain but it feels

just like a flare. I'm on Azathioprine and have been in remmision for almost 2 years.

However I 'm scared I might be coming out of remmision since this pain feels so

familiar! Has anyone else experienced this??

Last edited:

Angrybird

I have had the same issue at times throughout my pregnancy and firstly it helped to hear my work colleague was having the same pains - she was due two days before me and doesn't have crohn's. Another thing I looked at was how was I feeling otherwise with my general health and also what my bm's were like. Also being on the 6-mp I am still having regular bloods done so made sure to keep updated with my results when it came to my inflammation markers. What kind of monitoring are you having? Are you going to be seeing your GI soon at all?

AB
xx

Thanks for your response Angrybird.

I do go for bloodwork regularly, I just went nearly 2 weeks ago and inflammation markers were a bit higher than normal but I was also right in the middle of a terrible cold. I don't see my GI until April but if this pain continues into Monday I will be calling 1st thing in the morning! My general well being is good otherwise. Which is a good sign I suppose, I know when in a flare that is not the case! BMs are normal too... I'm relieved to hear that your coworker without Crohns was feeling the same pains. I really hope it's just growing pains!! My other question is, if it is in fact a flare is my baby at risk??

Angrybird

I have seen others here who have gone through pregnancies whilst in a flare and usually baby seems to be ok, they will still take all they from you. I would say your GI will want to try and get things settled if it was a flare and then keep a very close eye on you. One thing I would ask is whether you have changed what you are eating? My tum has been so settled that I have increased my bread and diary intake - when baby is born I do plan to dial it back as the tum might become less tolerant again with all the changes going on in the body. Given the fact that you were in remission before you fell pregnant I would be surprised if this was a flare - what dosage of the Aza are you on?

I'm on 175mg of Aza and don't want to go any higher. I already really hate the idea of being on something like that while pregnant. But I know, benefit out weights the risk. As far as my diet, I've been pretty much able to eat anything since surgery and remission. Spicy & fatty food will occasionally bother my guts a bit. Though I've found that since I've been preggo I am much more tolerant of those kinds of foods. Which is a first for me since childhood. I haven't really changed anything about the way I've been eating except I eat a lot more fruits and veggies now..how far along are you?

Angrybird

I am now 36wks 3days, two weeks ago today my waters started leaking so I was in hospital a few days but baby is still happy where he is and scans showed the liquid around him has stayed within normal limits so I just had to have a course of antibiotics and steroids jabs to help develope his lungs. I am now being induced on Thursday as I will then 37wks and considered term. We also know he is a good weight (over 7lb currently) so I am happy with this.

Oh wow! How exciting, you will meet your baby boy soon! I can't wait until I'm further along. Not that I want to rush my pregnancy but I've found that the first while is stressful, hoping everything is going well. (I'm a worry wart!) We find out our baby's sex in less than 2 weeks so Im very excited about that!

Angrybird

The early weeks are definitely hard because your not showing and you cannot feel the baby move. I remember until we had our 12wk scan when people asked how things were I would say 'I assume there's a baby still in there' lol.

Lol! I said the same thing to anyone that asked. It's so strange knowing there is a little person in there but you don't have much proof! I'm just now kinda starting to show, I don't think I've felt baby move yet, a few times I thought maybe but it coulda just been gas. I can't wait until I have a big round belly! Is this your 1st?

Angrybird

Yes it's our first, due to the crohn's I did at one point think I was never going to be able to have kids so he is a true gift and I was surprised at how quickly I fell pregnant. I would say initial movements do feel like little flutters, then it goes onto proper bumps and I am now at the stage where I get rolls and my belly changes shape and looks funny. I also get what feels like a bum stuck under my ribs on the right side on a fairly regular basis and he gets hiccups at least three times a day.

That's wonderful, a true gift indeed! I also thought I wouldn't be able to have children after all I'd been through. And also fell pregnant fairly quickly. Amazing how resilient the body can be!

Hi Everyone!

It's been ages since I've posted here. My question is to the moms out there.

I'm 17 1/2 weeks pregnant and have started to feel pain in my lower left

abdomen/groin. I've read that this is most likely round ligament pain but it feels

just like a flare. I'm on Azathioprine and have been in remmision for almost 2 years.

However I 'm scared I might be coming out of remmision since this pain feels so

familiar! Has anyone else experienced this??
Ugh.I've been experiencing this as well, and am just as confused as you are.For me, it's been extremely difficult to tell what is either crohns related or if it is pregnancy related.Sorry I'm not much help. :(
I'm due July 20th with my 6th boy.When are you due?

I also wanted to add, I got better with my last pregnancy (I wasn't even diagnosed until after he was born) but seem to be doing much worse this time around.Since pregnancy can constipate most, alot of women will go into remission because of the hormone "relaxin".But after doing more research, a 1/3 of women get better, a 1/3 stay the same, and a 1/3 get worse.So I guess there is no way to tell one way or the other how the pregnancy will go.

There is a good chance women with crohns who are pregnant, will go on to have healthy pregnancies/babies.They did note that those who were flaring throughout the pregnancy had a greater chance of delivering prematurely.But it was a very small number of women who did.

Like I said I have been dealing with crohns since I was about 20, and wasn't diagnosed until 2010 after my 5th boy was born.All of my pregnancies have been full term, vaginal births.The earliest I've ever had one of my boys was 7 days before my due date.

Hi Dixiedoll

I'm due July 31st, not long after you! Wow 6 boys, how fun! You must be a busy lady. I did end up going to my GI but by then the pain had gone away. He didn't really say much but to go back if it happened again. Anyway with all that aside the good news is I have recently started to feel my baby's movements. And we go for our anatomy scan tomorrow!! I'm super excited, anxious, nervous all of the above. It doesn't matter to us if we have a little girl or boy as long as it is healthy! I'm glad to read that all 5 of your boys were full term. That is another one of my many many concern. Ugh! Pregnancy has turned me into such a worrier (even more than before lol!)