• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Ruling out Crohn's based on colonoscopy alone?

My uncle has exhaustion, uncontrollable diarrhea (plenty of accidents), and anemia. He recently had a colonoscopy, and the GI said he didn't have Crohn's based on that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you need more than that to rule out Crohn's? I'm assuming he didn't see inflammation in the ileum during the colonoscopy, but wouldn't a thorough exam also include bloodwork and a CT to rule out Crohn's elsewhere in the small intestine?

I was just dx'd about three weeks ago so am new to this stuff so am unsure if I should recommend my uncle find a new GI.

J

JillianB82

Sometimes CD can kinda hide in the body. I would have him get a 2nd opinion. Good luck!!

seadreamer said:
My uncle has exhaustion, uncontrollable diarrhea (plenty of accidents), and anemia. He recently had a colonoscopy, and the GI said he didn't have Crohn's based on that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you need more than that to rule out Crohn's? I'm assuming he didn't see inflammation in the ileum during the colonoscopy, but wouldn't a thorough exam also include bloodwork and a CT to rule out Crohn's elsewhere in the small intestine?

I was just dx'd about three weeks ago so am new to this stuff so am unsure if I should recommend my uncle find a new GI.

absolutly! but i have a "but",

here's my story in brief:
i started getting sick at 14 and had (i've lost count so this is a conservative guess) about 4 maybe 5 colonoscopys, 3 or 4 endo's, different variations of ct's, mri's and a capsule endoscopy. the only test that showed anything when i was younger was the capsule endoscopy (after 2 or the colonoscopies) when i was 17 that when teh dr got the results said "i know it's suggesting it (meaning the pictures showed it) but i don't really think that's what you have." needless to say, he was fired. haha.

so now for years later after even going to the cleveland clinic and having them tell me i had ibs and fibromyalgia, i just lived with it for 3 years til it became unbearable. i went to a dr and said you have to help me and got me in for a colonoscopy less than a week later.

i had all of those previous colonoscopies and everything and blood work never showed anything, no one thought it was strange that i couldn't drink milk but could eat cheese... no one cared. i was lucky tho, that i have a mother who really knew how sick i was and that i wasn't making it up and kept shuttling me to dr after dr, one of whom was in bethesda, md and we live near dulles. that was a hell of a drive.

but yes, it is SOO possible that he could have it and it's not showing it. the key is to find a dr that truely listens and cares and believes that there really is someting there. but, blood work and ct's and everything could also say he doesn't have it and he still could.

forum contributor

Captain Obvious
I'm anemic because I have rectal ulcers that bleed a lot - like 3 units of blood a lot.

Agree w/Shantel - you don't just bleed for no reason.

I would tell your uncle to keep pushing. A lot of us on here weren't dx'd the first time around. Some took years, and some are still trying :(

I've had Crohn's for many years. My Crohn's is located in my small bowel and a colonoscopy can NOT see it. Good luck and seek second opinion, or followup blood work CBC and possible small bowel series.

It's absolutely ridiculous to exclude crohn's based on a single colonoscopy. But, most doctors wouldn't have any trouble doing so. Few doctors, even GIs, know or care enough about crohn's disease and CD sufferers to understand that. If you're not actively dieing it's not important to diagnose you.

if the scope reached through the illeum and found no signs of the disease during such flare up symptoms ,then i think i can understand why the Gi said no crohn
cuz as i know even if its not necessary to the colon to be involved in this disease but at least the illeum should if the colon is ok cuz its either or one of them.
crohn can hide and show no inflammation symptoms in the bowel but i dont think this is likely when having uncontrollable diarrhea and bad symptoms?
am not sure though