• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Running out of options.

Trying to keep this brief for now. I was diagnosed with Crohn's when I was 10 (19 now), and since that time have been on the usual treatments at some point. Had a flare starting last fall, it got really bad just in time for the spring semester, then kind of had ups and downs through summer, and eventually the ups stopped. I am (and was) on Cimzia and Aciphex. I spent 2 months trying the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (google SCD) and that didn't have a noticeable effect. I finally gave up and started smoking marijuana about 3 months ago. It has been a great help (very little pain anymore, no nausea, good appetite, less bleeding and diarrhea, sleeping better), but I'm still having symptoms. 6-8 bowel movements a day, sometimes with some blood and diarrhea.

This leaves me able to manage to get out for a couple hours, but I'm still not where I want to be (I've been in remission with no symptoms in the past), and my GI doesn't seem to have anything else for me to try. He referred me to a psychiatrist, whom I've seen twice, and he doesn't seem to think I have a textbook psychological problem or anything, and I don't feel a lot of stress (not consciously, anyway). He suggested I do some research on benzodiazepines and SSRI's for treating Crohn's and get back to him. I've done some searching and have read that people with IBD have benefited from antidepressants. Information seems to be limited, though. Very few trials or studies have been done, and the anecdotal evidence I've come across so far hasn't been extremely informative.

I'm looking for any information about antidepressants and Crohn's. I'll look into any other suggestions you may have, at this point. Let me know if you need more info. Any input is appreciated.

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
FD, I'm sorry I can't help with your question but if you will repost the thread in the Your Story section, you will be more likely to be seen. Good luck!!