• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Sacroiliitis=AS?

I probably have sacroiliitis. The rheumatologist hasn't mentioned AS, but anytime I search for SI, I get results that it's the first stage of AS. Can you have SI without having AS? I know my rheum drew blood for the HLA-B27 antigen and if that's positive, it sounds like it's AS. I also had my rheumatoid factor checked, as well as a pelvic/hip MRI (x-rays are normal, but that's not unusual, from what I've read). I should get results this week, but just wondering if anyone has any insight.

Yes. It is very common to have sacroilitis and not have AS though uncommon to have AS without sacroilitis.

Good luck with all your tests, I'm surprised you aren't befuddled by all the new info/tests/meds you've had recently!!

Overwhelmed, yes. But I'm keeping up. However, my hubby was sitting there listening to me go back and forth with the GI about all the med options (metho, tysabri, trials, etc.) and he said, "How do you keep up with all that??" I'm on here every day! LOL

I had the same exact worries you do. I have real bad sacroiliac joint pain on the right side of my hip for everyday for the past 3 years. It bothers me most when I'm laying in bed, it's very rare that I ever get a good nights sleep. I have a soft pillow-top mattress and it only makes matters worse. I've slept on hard mattresses and it seemed to help a whole lot, so buying one of those is probably in the near future. My rheum tested me for HLA-B27 which was negative (thank god) and wants to try a cortisone shot. I haven't done it just yet since steroids have seemed to make me go pretty crazy.
Good luck with your test and I hope you get some relief!

My HLA-B27 was also negative, luckily! And I'm the same as you-steroids make me crazy. I cannot take them. But they said the steroid injections aren't as systemic, so I may give those a shot. They actually found out I have a torn ligament in my hip, so my SI pain may be from overcompensating for that. I'm doing physical therapy and seeing an ortho surgeon today.

My HLA-B27 was also negative, luckily! And I'm the same as you-steroids make me crazy. I cannot take them. But they said the steroid injections aren't as systemic, so I may give those a shot. They actually found out I have a torn ligament in my hip, so my SI pain may be from overcompensating for that. I'm doing physical therapy and seeing an ortho surgeon today.
Oh good luck! Please keep me updated on how that goes and if you get a shot how it makes you feel. I'll definitely do the same. I couldn't even handle budesonide 3mg 3x a day. I'm getting an MRI sometime in the next few weeks so we will probably go from there.

-How did they find out you had the torn ligament?

I had a pelvic/hip MRI that showed the tear. I got the steroid injection in my hip today, since that's my biggest pain. It kinda helped. I haven't had any side effects yet. I may call next week to see if I can get one in my SI joint, though.