• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Sad state of health care in this country

I was diagnosed with collagenous colitis 10 years ago (diagnoses on subsequent colonoscopy changed to lymphocytic colitis) at age 48 after suffering for months after a trip to Mexico from uncontrollable diarrhea and gut cramps that knocked me to my knees. I was traveling a lot in third-world countries at the time, often under rather primitive conditions, and assumed it was some kind of parasite. Kaiser sent me to their best infectious disease people, who tested and tested but could not find whatever it was. They put me on a gluten-free diet for awhile, suspecting celiac disease, before finally springing for a colonoscopy and biopsy. By this time I was taking 12 Pepto-Bismol tablets a day just to be able to function, and feeling beyond miserable. The doctor compared my condition to cholera and said I could die of dehydration or kidney failure if I didn't closely monitor my liquid intake. I spent half my time in the bathroom and was afraid to go anywhere for fear I couldn't find one in time. After the diagnosis I was put on Asacol, which had no effect whatsoever. Then Entocort, which worked like a charm. I now take 3 mg a day of the generic, Budesonide, upping the dosage when I have a flare-up, which isn't often. Thank God for insurance: Every time I get a re-fill the statement comes back "your insurance saved you $2,400...!") That's up from $1,800 in just six months as the insurance companies inflate prices in advance of Obamacare. This drug costs more per month than my mortgage. My husband and I are separated and cannot get divorced due to my need to stay on his health insurance. It's a sad sad world we live in when it comes to health care in the United States.

afidz

Super Moderator
I'm sorry to hear about your situation, how are you feeling symptom wise? Are you going to be getting your own insurance soon?

As long as I have that one pill a day, I'm pretty much symptom free. Going two days without it, however, brings all the symptoms back with a vengeance. As for insurance: I'm uninsurable if I ever leave the plan I have now. Even with Obamacare's requirement that coverage be available to all, no plan will have a monthly premium lower than the $1,200 cost of that single medication. Fortunately my ex is supportive of my condition, works for the state and has a "Cadillac" plan that costs him (and me) peanuts. It's just weird that we have to stay in marital purgatory because of it. I am currently self-employed but couldn't take a chance on being an entrepreneur without this safety net.

afidz

Super Moderator
Its unfair that the people that need the health insurance the most can't receive it. Have you tried medicaid?