• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Saunas and steam rooms

You might need to change the bag sooner than normal, as the extra moisture might cause the bag to get loose, but there shouldn't be any problem with using a sauna or steam room. Stay well hydrated, however. The heat may affect you more now that you have an ileo.

Also, you can take a bath and go swimming with a bag on too.

Thanks 2th, makes sense to be aware that the seal may not last as long due to the moisture, but good to know it can be done.

Thanks!

annawato

Staff member
Yes its the quarter moonish shaped strips that stick on the edges of your base plate to provide more security. Great for this type of thing but my stoma nurse warned not to use them to extend bag wear time if you are leaking cos it just means your skin is being exposed to the corrosive ouput longer so getting more and more damaged.
I use them if I'm going out somewhere and want the extra security or if the base plate hasn't stuck down at the edges properly. Micropore tape is good too.

Definately can sauna, swim and do anything. Advise if the sauna is very hot is to put a small wet towel over your stoma to prevent it from getting too much direct heat. I do saunas all the time and go swim in lakes and in pools too. No problems ever.

I went for my first swim since surgery yesterday. I found out that my abdominal muscles were extremely tight making front crawl painful to begin with. However after 10mins or so they had really stretched out and it almost felt normal. The wafer I'm now using (Salts two piece) held up very well.

Shouldn't have any problems, I had a spell where I was going in a steam room a few times a week, Putting tagaderm or "opsite flexifix" which is the cheaper version will certainly help.

So I went to the sauna this evening for two 15minute sessions. My seal looks fine and without any extra tape or flange seals.

I am currently trialling the Dansac two piece 55mm system and it has been my most successful trial yet at three nights and counting...

annawato

Staff member
Its great when you find a system that works isn't it? Heres to the 4th 5th and 6th nights - if you're brave enough......:) :) :)