• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Say g'day 2 DownUnder4Life

Hi all and thanx 4 having me - seems like a friendly and warm forum.
My story started earlier this year, back in april with what i thought was gastroenteritis (now thats how u get a private room in a public hospital) but after a colpospopy i was informed i had a nasty case of ulcerative colitis. Lower bowel inflammed from top 2 bottom. Treatment was 6 day course of IV steroids 400mg every 6 hours. I was feeling better within a couple of days and sent home with a tonne of meds. My GI doctor is a sweetheart and we have a great doctor/patient relationship. He was lowering my Prednisolone over time and i got down to only 7mg daily. I thought that nasty illness was all behind me.
By October i was wondering why i was still visiting GI doctor. By next fortnightly visit my symptoms had returned full force. My dose of Prednisolone was increased, but as doc had warned me - sometimes the only way 2 knock it on the head was 2 head back 2 hospital 2 have the course of IV steriods. I did'nt want 2 leave my husband, teenage daughter and 2 jackrussells again for 6 or so days. But i had no choice - i was so sick and being home on the couch did'nt help a inch.
Was not as lucky this time @ the hospital with a private room. My concern was of course the toilet. Sharing with 3 others - my bowel did'nt know about sharing the toilet like that. But i'm happy 2 report no drama in that department.
Pretty much as soon as the IV Steriods was pumping through me i was feeling better. Did my 6 days, got my new tonne of meds and sent home.
Recovery is going good - still a little weak in the legs and upper body, but i'm getting there.
I'm a tablet taker now and here's what i'm taking:-
Purinethol/Mercaptopurine
Prednisolone 30mg
Pantoprazole/Somac
Mesalazine/Salofalk
Side effects = hair loss from the prednisolone (not a bad thing as i used 2 have the thickest hair u can imagine)

Hello DownUnder!
I too, have had multiple courses of IV steroids in the hospital. Not fun.
I also had a relapse after being sent home the first time. Glad to hear you haven't
had too many side effects from the Pred.
Welcome to the forum!!!!:)

:eek:zythunder: :eek:zythunder: :eek:zythunder:

woohoooo, another Aussie. great to have another one of us here:)

hey downunder!
welcome to the forum, its great here
glad to hear that the meds are doing their thing for you, hopefully no more time away from youre family!
see you around :)

Welcome to the forum! Sorry you need to be here, but at least it's warm and cozy here! Hopefully, the worst is behind you now.