• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Saying hello!

Hi everyone!

So, I got a message on my Tumblr today telling me I should come here and say "hello!" so I am dutifully doing that. :)

Anyways, my name is Graham. I'm 27. I'm an actor and..... yeah, I'm really bad at talking about myself. :thumright:

I've been extreeeeeeemely lucky for somebody with Crohn's. I first started seriously flaring up when I was sixteen -- got diagnosed very quickly (at the time anyways, I don't know how long it takes now) after just two months. (It was April 1st, actually, which seems like an absurd day to tell somebody they've got a chronic illness. :p) It took another two years to finally get into remission with 6MP (mercaptopurine or whatever it is?) Stayed in remission (despite stupidly deciding to stop taking my meds while I was in college) til I was 24/25, flared up again for about seven months and then they got me on Humira and.... yeah, I've been pretty much in remission since then. *knock on wood*

So, yup, that's me. Hello!

nogutsnoglory

Hey Graham so happy to hear humira and 6mp were frkrnd for you. Both were bad for me but everyone is different. Glad you are relatively under control now. Welcome to our forum.

Lady Organic

Staff member
Hi I have a very similar route just like you. Diagnosis, 2 years struggling,then 6mp living happily in full remission about 6-7 years, then decided to stop 6mp despite warning of my GI, then flare a year later... Im back on 6mp though. May I ask why you went for Humira and didnt return on 6mp?

Thanks for the welcome guys! :)

My current doctor recommended Humira instead of the 6MP. He said that Humira and Remicade have the highest success rates of any drug he prescribes his Crohn's patients -- and I hadn't heard much about Humira at all, but I'd heard at least as many horror stories about Remicade as I'd heard success stories. So I balked, chickened out, and went with the unknown evil instead. :p In the past couple of years, that balance has shifted and if I were in the same position now I might have gone with the Remicade. (That's what you're taking, right, noguts? And that's working for you pretty well?)
My doctor also said that he's had patients who stopped taking 6mp and tried to go back to it only to find that it wasn't effective anymore. (He's also had patients who tried 6mp and it didn't work, tried Humira, and then eventually Humira stopped working and then they tried 6mp again and then it worked. These drugs are so friggin' weird and tempramental.) I figured after five or six years without the drug, I was probably going to need something else.

PS How fancy are these links to the forum's Wiki that pop up in our posts? I love it!