• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Scared and unsure

I have been diagnosed with Crohn's since I was 19, and I am 26 now. I've had two major flares, the first when diagnosed and the 2nd in '08 resulting in a 40 day hospital stay and 1 1/2 feet of intestines removed. Ever since my surgery, Ive had chronic diarrhea and stomach cramps, nowhere near as bad as before my surgery, but always there...even on humira and remicade. I started remicade in 12/10 and on my third dose this month, I had a hypersensitivity reaction requiring solumedrol and benedryl to stop it. Monday I was sufferring severe abdominal pain raditating to my back and nausea and vomiting. I went to the ER where they ruled out kidney stones and gall stones and pancratitis. However...they found out I am 5.5 weeks pregnant. Now I don't know what to do. I'm worried that I may have hurt my baby with the hypersensitivity reaction. I'm worried that I'll have a flare (because of the pain on monday and continued discomfort through today) and that I'll lose my baby. I can't get in to see my GI until June 21..she's hard to get an appointment with. My appointment with my OB isn't until May 16/23. I know I don't absorb nutrients right...but how am i supposed to get prenatal vitamins before I see a doctor. What options do I have for meds?? I am so scared and lost righ tnow.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hi Aquagirl :welcome: to the forum. I have had 2ft taken out but for two years I took Questran, to help stop the diareah. Unsweetened applesauce helps too. I understand your concerns with your baby being affected, some woman have had perfectly healthy babies on Remicade so that could be ok. I am not familiar withe Solumdrol or Benedryl (had it only once) but I think you should get in sooner to see your ob or a Gp. Heck, you sure you are not in Canada? Canadians suffer for months to get appts, so I understand. If you cant see someone go to emergency they have to do something, and you want to protect your unborn child. Congrats on your pregnancy and I hope you find some answers soon.

Been there done that...the ER gave me pain meds and sent me home to follow up with those doctors. I am in the US and always have trouble with getting doctor's appointments. Hopefully I can work something out...sigh...

It will all be okay. Babies are so resilient. I actually just had my baby 2 weeks ago yesterday. I went into the pregnancy in a flare, I pretty much flared the whole time and only gained 15lbs the whole pregnancy. The entire time though, they kept a close eye on the baby and she was born completely healthy. I was on Humira, bentyl, asacol, zofran, and nexium the entire time, as well. Remicade is much like Humira, I have heard that people take it as well and do fine while pregnant.

I'm not going to lie, I didn't feel very well the entire pregnancy. I had an easy pregnancy as far as no scares with the baby and what not, but I threw up and had diarrhea the entire time.

It is doable! Is there anyway you can be a squeaky wheel and keep calling the doc office to get you in sooner? I see a doc that is hard to get into and I just keep calling. If you are really worried about your situation, you could even see a GP and he can give you prenatal vitamins. That is what i did.

I wish you luck!! Try not to worry too much, I know its hard, but babies aren't quite as fragile as everyone thinks.

Oh, and I took prednisone as well as benadryl during my pregnancy. Keep us posted on how you are doing!

I got ahold of my GI's nurse and she said that my doctor wants to sit down and talk with me. She is going to work on squeezing me in soon. How soon, I have no idea. I talked to the OB office and they are going to prescribe prenatal vitamins for the time being. They told me that I will prob. have large amounts of nausea due to not being able to absorb Vitamin B. I am no longer going to be able to take remicade due to insurance issues. I was on Humira but it stopped alsting a whole two weeks. I wanted to try cimzia but my GI is not convinced of it's safety in pregnancy. I'm just so scared. I already have constant diarrhea since 2008 surgery...what's al ittle more as long as my baby is ok. They wouldn't even call it a viable pregnancy in the ER because I wasn't 6 weeks along yet...I Just am so scared...

hi I when I was pregnant with my first daughter I was having a flare up and was on steriods, it all worked out well and my daughter was born with no health problems, just before I got pregnant with my second daughter I was having a big flare and was told to start on steriods, just before I started I found out I was pregnant, they then told me not to bother with the steriods as yr body produces natural ones, my flare up did go away and my daughter was born healthy, they are now 12 and 9 and still have no problems although I have had too many to count!!! and has people have already said babys are very resiliant, anyway good luck and I do hope evrything goes well x

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Aquagirl - I don't have any advice, but I wanted to wish you all of the luck in the world. And I am so happy your GI will be able to meet with you sooner or later. I was quite shocked that he/she couldn't/wouldn't see you due to your urgent circumstances. Please let us know how the visit goes.

Congrats on your pregnancy, I am so sending you the best. I hope you can get into your OB so fast. Don't be afraid to be annoying to the office!!

Aquagirl - I have a 2 year old and had no problems with my Crohns while pregnant. I have never felt better than when I was pregnant. I took 400 mg of Azasan while I was pregnant and the baby was born healthy. I suggest seeing a perinatologist (sp) as soon as you can. They can help you sort through meds and treatments. Mine always told me to remember that no one is going to volunteer to take a medicine while pregnant. I wish you the best of luck.