• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Scared I have an anal abscess?

I had a bad bout of messy BMs from something and just was unable to clean up...it just kept leaking out and much too much wiping. I developed a fissure right inside the anal opening. Have been using Vit E and coconut oil on it as I am allergic to most medications. I now seem to feel a painful lump in that area as I was getting washed (right at edge but hubby can't see anything. I understand that coconut oil is an antimicrobial so can I continue to use it on this now. Does it sound like I have caused an abscess? I have healed fissures in the past with coconut oil but they were a bit further in than this one. Horribly painful.

Scared since I am so limited with meds...only antibiotics I can take is Keflex family and Levaquin family. Also allegic to lanolin which is in everything for down there. I was also told by myh urologist not to do sitz baths because I have a prolapsed urethra and lots of scar tissue and it has been constantly sore for years so I am prone to UTIs and try to stay as clean as possible, even to the point of using hand held shower after a BM if even slightly messy. Otherwise a baby wipe will do.

Please any info you can give me would be appreciated. Thank you.

I don't know if you have caused an abscess, but the painful lump would make me think abscess. I've never had fissures, but am currently in an ongoing battle against a pesky abscess, turned fistula, and it started as a little painful lump. I would keep an eye on it and if it gets bigger head to the doctors to get it taken care of properly. Feel better!

I am so sorry your dealing with this. I have a disease called Interstitial Cystitis so I am also very prone to getting UTI's so I feel for ya there. They are the worst! I also have to go through ritualistic cleaning after I have a BM as well. I actually will bottle wash afterwards and then even take a shower making sure the anal area is completely clean. It sucks, I mean my poops can be messy and I can literally go through a whole role of Toilet paper to get clean.

Is the lump you feel down there very painful? If you can get a mirror and look down there that would be good. It could be a hemorrhoid too. I get irritation down there and I have to use Zinc oxide ointment around the area and that seems to help with the irritation and it helps heal stuff.

I hope you are feeling better by now.

I don't know if you have caused an abscess, but the painful lump would make me think abscess. I've never had fissures, but am currently in an ongoing battle against a pesky abscess, turned fistula, and it started as a little painful lump. I would keep an eye on it and if it gets bigger head to the doctors to get it taken care of properly. Feel better!
I would agree.