• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Scared to share...

I was diagnosed with Crohns when I was 27 years old. My symptoms came on strong and with no answers from doctors. At the time my husband was still in collage and we had two small girls. I was very frustrated because I had no insurance and could not get into see a G.I. doctor without $300.00 in hand each time. I was afraid to be alone because I did not know what was wrong and I was really afraid of what would happen if I was. I could hardly get myself out of bed and when I did most of my time was spent in the bathroom. I was bleeding and vomiting and sooo scared! I went to the emergency room multiple times with inapropriate comments about my symtoms from the physician and sent home with yet again no answers and getting sicker still daily. This went on untill I was eventually hospitlized for 14 days and diagnosed with Crohns. I was working in dentistry full time and loved what I went to school to do. Unfortunatlly that became very hard to continue doing. My employer was very understanding and I was able to cut my hours to about 20/ wk. Still sick still no meds that worked for me... This went on for about 5 months and untill my husband finished school and we had insurance!! I thought I would finally get HELP. I tried medication after medication and non of them worked. Asacol, Azsulfadine, methatrexate, imuran,and some I can't even remember. I had fevers up to 104 and hives. So many allergic reactions and so many medications that I could not use. My doctors just kept coming to the conclusion that my Crohns is "nonresponsive" to the medications they had for me. I then had and unplanned pregnancy and began to feel so much better. Yeah! I wished I could be pregnant forever. (how crazy does that sound?) I had another beautiful daughter and after about a year it was back with a vengance. :ymad: I was almost 29 at this point and had a team of doctors that were becoming as frustrated as myself. So I saw doctors at the University of Washington and Virginia Mason I did everything they recomended. I then began to have joint swelling that I had experienced as a adolesant. The fluid in my knees was krippling and soon I quit my job at the dentist office.(no more helping others to "SMILE") I started to work at the school district with kids and became almost as happy with my work as I was at the dentist office. I was on high doses of predisone 60-80mg/day. Yuck! We all know what that does to us... My doctors began to work together using immune supressant meds,Enbrel and other TNF blockers. I began spiking fevers again, my white count was shot. I was in the hospital about five or six times a year at this point and my joints were out of control. Doctors said no more work. Ouch, that was hard to hear! I was told I was a "spore for infection". I was depressed sick and did not know what was in my future.....I soon realized my future would be full of doctors offices and a lot of time searching the net for all of the information I could find. I decided to try Remicade I was excited I thought this was going to be the "one". I started the infusion but I kept having blood count issues. Why me? I had to put infusions on hold because of my white counts, poor iron the need for blood transfusions. Can this get any worse I thouhgt? I finally got strong enough that I could start Remicade again. Not so fast though I needed to premedicate to avoid the chance of serious reaction. But.. that did not do the trick instead I had an anaphylactic (sp) reaction. Scary!! Now what? My team of two different G.I. doctors in two towns my hematologist, rhumatolagist, and GP decided that I needed to go to Chicago or California to see a doctor that sees the toughest cases in the country. Getting MORE depressed and hopeless I said yes.. So I went to Ceder Syani. Please forgive my spelling.:) He said I was going to need surgery. I new that was coming after doing all of the reading on line that I had done. So back to Washington and to the surgeon. That was a hard surgery 6.5 hours later and lots of staples and stitches I had six inches of my small intestine and everything ealse down was removed... Ileostomy! I was struggling to heal and to get going again. I was in and out of the hosp. after my surgery because things were just not right! (of course not) So after months of pain and not healing they realized that during surgery they cut a hole into the vaginal wall and it would not heal. I had a very large abcese in my abdominal area from the surgery... It was a long road but after about 1 year I was feeling great and NO signs of crohns. That was about 2years ago. Yeah!! I have been taking Thalomide for mait. untill I started having neroupithy (spelling) in my feet and up my lower legs. I was starting to take off the weight that I had gained from steroids. Untill (there is that word again) three months ago I started to have swelling in my knees and I was feeling very worn out. I started to have a chronic sore throat and eventually I could not eat at all. I was put in the hosp. another endoscopy along with many other test I found out my crohns is active again. It is now in my stomach, esoghagus, and mouth.:( I have started Humaira 160mg loading dose 80mg every other week.. I have been feeling better but I saw my doctor today because I had a steroid shot in my knee last week and it did not help with the swelling so now they are saying the Humaira is failing. They said Cimzia is next.... ( If insurance says it's ok)

:depressed: I am starting to get to the end of choices when it comes to medication. I am scared and tired of adding to my medication list that is 17 meds long already.....

p.s.
I did try naturapathic medacine and organic diet at one point along the way. Sorry if this sounds like a giant sob story. It just seems that once I started to tell my story it just poured out along with tears. This was one of the hardest things I have ever done. Thank you all for the space here to spill all of this out.:)

Last edited:

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
Wow, you are really having a rough time of it!
Since the Humira did make you feel a bit better at first, maybe you can look into maintaining with a double dose, or one shot every week instead of every other?
I hope that just getting that all written out makes you feel a teeny bit better. We're here for you.
Browse the forum, there are tons of situations here and everyone seems different. Maybe you'll find something else that you haven't thought of to try.
Good luck and welcome!

Thanks for the reply. I did talk to my doctor about changing the dose of Humira and he said I could try once/week but I can't increase the overall dose because I am already on two time the recomened dose. I will continue to browse the forum for new ideas. I need and want to get to the point where I can stop missing important days in my families lives because I am too sick. They are the reason I keep fighting to get better they are amazing and so much FUN!

soupdragon69

ele mental leprechaun
Hey la la,

Very glad to see you found us! ((hugs))

I am at the point where I am having to quit work (cardiac intensive care nurse). You will see why when you read my list at the bottom of my post. On top of it I have developed Reynauds now.

I take gabapentin for neuropathic pain as the inflammation from my arthritis has trapped nerves in my shoulders, wrists, ankles and feet, and it helps a bit and I know I can increase the dose if I need to.

My GI told me I could change to Humira from Remi but he reckoned it isnt as powerful and I was better staying with the Remi.

Then they finally caught on they were under dosing me with the Remi as I had gained alot of weight with high dose steroids of 60mg a day and then was having injections of steroids into my hip that release slowly for my arthritis once I stopped the oral and they didnt keep pace with the amount of remi I was having. So couldnt win. The reason I put up my problems here is because I kept saying "yes I have that problem" and thought folk are gonna think me attention seeking or a hypochondriac! Not once has it been suggested though and everyone here is extremely understanding.

Unlike you I have not had surgery as my inflammation is too widespread. I am on Methotrexate for my arthritis and am stuffed if it impacts on my liver again and I have to stop it as the choice of drugs I can take due to having crohns are limited on the rheumatology side.

Just wanted to say welcome! We do understand so well what you are going through honey. Hang in there. Keep posting. Keep asking. We are here for your good days and your rough days too ok?

There is always someone around who will answer you even if we cant individually get online as much as we would like due to being exhausted etc.

Well done for breaking the ice. Keep going now ok?

((hugs)) Thinking of you!

Last edited:
hi Lala, welcome to our little corner of the world!

aw big hugs honey.. you've certainly had more than your fair share of ill health & worry :(

i'm so pleased you've found us - this is a wonderful place to learn virtually everything there is to know about Crohn's, and the support & understanding here is fantastic.

i don't know if you've ever heard of LDN? (low dose Naltrexone). a few of us (me included) are on it, and it seems to be suitable for those of us who have issues with other medications. i have to say i cannot state that it's helping my Crohn's symptoms yet, it's early days, but it's maybe something for you to look into.

looking forward to seeing you around the forum :)

I am always searching!:) I am thankful that I have found this site recently too. I hope you continue to share and ask questions. One thing (among many) I wish I could change in my journey with this disease would be not feeling I was alone for so many years. :duh:Keeping myself locked up because I was scared that I was the only one was not the way to go....

Oh my gosh, Laura, you have been through it all. I really feel for you! Just chatting with people on this forum will hopefully help you feel better mentally, and maybe get you some more ideas on how to feel better physically as well. I wish you lots of luck in finding something that will work for you - you definitely deserve it. Hang in there and welcome to the forum!

GoJohnnyGo

One Badass Dude
Letting it all out at the beginning is cathartic. It's a good starting point for this forum. Everyone here is on the level and you'll find a lot of support.

Howdy!

Your story is VERY similar to mine, been to Northwestern Memorial, Virginia Mason, 10-15 doctors in state, University of Washington, Cedar Senai. Had anaphylactic reaction to remicade, too. Used humira for 3 years, was my god send. Used one injection a week, though, it was the only way it worked. Now i am back in a flare, started Cimzia two weeks ago. Had colonoscopy last week, doc said ulcerations are healing, but fibrous tissue in intestine, told same thing about my uterus by GYN the week before. Also, now i have a prolapsed rectum, more surgery. Keep fighting the good fight. Your family needs you and they are as scared as you.

Sorry you have been thru so much. Hope you can get feeling better.
We are still waiting for dcotor to call back. My almost 13 year old has crohns and they tell us she needs surgery.

Wow la la. You are a really tough person to go through all this. After reading your post here are 2 ideas that are being used for Crohn's that you may try, now that you've used all other alternatives:

- LDN: it's a drug in the trial phases but showing great promise for autoimmune diseases with very few side effects. For help on it you can search this forum or check the below link:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2346320_use-low-dose-[wiki2="Naltrexone"]naltrexone[/wiki2]-crohns.html

- SCD: The SCD diet has helped many with Crohn's. It is restricted but worth the try if it helps. Check below for more info:

http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/

Good Luck

It's Many Issues- Diet is #1

Hi,
You have been through much and have trusted doctors and drugs to try to control and ameliorate your conditions. For myself and I believe most people on this website, there are multiple conditions that most people have ocurring at the same time along with the Crohns to debilitate.

It really comes down to your diet and food choices as the first priority before you start rebuilding your body. Have you ever been on antibiotics? If you have then there is an extremely high chance that you've adulterated your natural flora balance in your body allowing food allergies, candida, Crohns, and other digestive based problems to move in over time. Month by month and year by year your system continues to breakdown so that you are less and less tolerant to the foods that you've naturally enjoyed. Now you are allergic to them and they are hurting your body.

Do you have the willpower to go on a fast? Can you do a water fast for 3 days? (Check my posting in how I got rid of my Crohns through a powerful "Megadosing" of Aloe Vera Juice. Though not a "fast" I watched my diet and did everything that I am explaining to you as well). My assumption is that you are continuing to eat the foods that your body is extremely allergic to without knowing it. Number one priority is to stay away from SUGAR; all sugars. This includes sugar in your soft drinks, sugar candies, pastries, everything. Also, because it is likely that you have out of control candidiasis, you must drop rice, bread products (pretzels, donuts, etc) and pasta, corn (sugar content) etc. I know this is austere. You must come up with salad, vegetables, and meat protein diets and foods (turkey- no phosphates) chicken, fish, red meat if you can handle it. Sneak some breads in from time to time, but really LIMIT it if you must.

This abstenance will not be forever, however until you build your system back up to eat these foods they will constantly cause you pain and new maladies in your body. Educate yourself and purchase cookbooks to prepare new sets of foods (salads, other creative dishes). I would also educate yourself on food allergies and candida (and Crohns) and go to your local health food store to amp up on digestive enzymes, anti candida supplements (Vitamin C -3000 mg/ min, oil of orgegano is EXCELLENT for throat conditions and for your immune system to kill infections, Caprylic Acid, Garlic, and others).

Also, it is IMPERATIVE to stay away from Coffee and any caffeinated drinks (colas etc.) You are doing yourself an extreme injustice if you continue to have coffee each day in that the caffeine directly aggravates "Crohns like" conditions. It happens almost instantaneously. Subsitute out with varying teas or other drinks.

So many people on this website are trusting a pharmaceutical "pill" or "pills" to somehow be the "magic bullet" to get rid of their pain and maladies. We have the answers with our education through research of these health problems and taking action ourselves. Read up on your issues. Educate yourself and take action. Your toughest challenge is to control your diet and be creative with food substitutes as well as slamming your system with proven anti-fungal and anti yeast supplements which will actually start to improve your condtions.

A glass of Aloe Vera juice daily starting immediately should be a staple of your diet.

Last edited: