• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

SCD Advice

I'm new to this forum, but once I started reading different threads I couldn't help but notice that some people were doing the SCD diet. I didn't know what that was so I did some research on it. My doctor was threatening to put me on stronger medication (I'm currently on Pentasa) so I decided to give this diet a try first. Anyway, I know that it may or may not work, but I have to try anyway. I'm starting Monday and before I did I just wanted to ask a few of you who have been on it some questions. First it's kind of obvious this isn't a cheap diet so I'm trying to cut corners any way I can. As far as the homemade yoghurt goes, is there a cheaper way of making it? For example, can I make the yoghurt using something besides a yogurt maker? Also, I read that I could just use store bought yoghurt as a starter as long as it was plain yoghurt. Is that true? I don't think I'm going to eat the yoghurt for the first few weeks because probiotics have caused increased diarhea in the past, but I do want to use the yoghurt in recipes like the cream cheese needed for the cheesecake. Any ideas, suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Oh yeah I'm also going to start a separate thread documenting my journey just as others have. I'm hoping that it helps someone just as your threads have helped me whether the diet works for me or not. Thanks again everyone...I'm so glad I found this forum. :ybiggrin:

Hi there,

I am also planning to start the SCD on Monday, I have a naturopath who is working with me on the process. I'm also on Pentasa. Anyway, I'm not exactly sure about using plain store bought yoghurt ( I know she says it's a good way to go in the book, but I wouldn't know what exactly to look for in the store.) I have been looking at yoghurt makers and actually found one on Macy's.com with good reviews for $29.98, which is like half of the cost of the on Lucy's Kitchen. I think I will go that route. Do you have the book, "Breaking the Vicious Cycle"? I think she describes a way to make yoghurt w/o a maker, but it sounds too difficult to me...

Well, I good luck to you and to me, I look forward to readng about your (hopeful) progress.

Best,
Bethany

I make yogurt in a crockpot using Dannon's All Natural Plain Yogurt for the starter. It's what Erin from nomorecrohns.com uses and I did call Dannon and it contains no bifidus.

I found several youtube videos on making crockpot yogurt. The difference in making SCD yogurt is the fermentation time at 24 - 36 hours.

Heat milk to 180. While heating milk have yogurt starter out on counter to get to room temperature. Plug in crockpot on high.

When milk is 180 remove from stove and cool to 100 - 110. Once milk reaches desired temp add yogurt starter and mix well. Turn oven on to lowest temp possible.

Unplug crockpot and pour milk in and wrap in thick towel. Turn oven off and put wrapped crockpot in oven.

After 7 to 10 hours in oven, I remove my towel wrapped cropot and then heat oven to lowest temperature (mine is 170) and plug in crockpot while oven is heating. When oven reaches temp (about 3 minutes), I turn the oven off and unplug my crockpot, rewrap in beach towel and put back in oven. So I do this 2 to 3 times when making my yogurt.

I use whole milk and ferment my yogurt 26 hours - comes out thick and tart.

We strain it and blend with fruit or in smoothies.

Good luck!
~Beth

KWalker

Welcome! have you had a look at my SCD thread? You can do so by clicking the link under my post. I'm not going to talk about the potential risks of not taking medicine or any of the "technical" stuff because you've already posted that you're aware of that so I'll just get right into it, and I'll try to make it as simple as possible.

1.My grocery budget hasn't changed since starting the diet and I've made it work without going over budget. Some things of course are more expensive, because of the higher quality foods, and needing to buy things more frequently (fruits/vegetables) but I personally also saved a lot of money by cutting out fast food, pop, and snacks similar to twinkies, so it can even out.

Unfortunately the best way to keep money reasonable, it's best to avoid trying to make substitutes of foods you ate in the past, like bread. I made a loaf of bread that cost $12 dollars and it tasted like crap so I don't even bother anymore. The only reason I tried the bread was for the calories from nut products so now I just eat the nuts. It's cheaper and more convenient. It's also best not to try and make too many snacks because often the ingredients used are expensive, and most rely on a lot of honey, which gets expensive when you use a lot of it.

2. I personally don't use yogurt. I was never a yogurt person, nor do I have the patience to try and make it. I would probably just get frustrated if I messed it up. A lot of people (like you said) also have problems with the yogurt so it isn't uncommon to avoid it. You can use probiotics as well instead if you want. I don't use early currently, and doing well. My personal opinion would be skip the yogurt unless you feel it's absolutely necessary. Just, if you hear people telling you it won't work with yogurt, just ignore them. I'm having success without it. Like you said though, it is needed for treats like cheesecake and that part sucks for me.

Hmm, what else. You'll probably hate your life at first (lol) after going from eating anything to seemingly eating nothing and you will more than likely feel like crap for the first while during the "die off" period but you actually want that to happen because that is all the bad bacteria leaving your body while fighting to try and stay. They make you feel like crap as a defense so you will give up and go back to feeding them by eating the crappy stuff.

I didn't do the intro diet and just went into eating everything allowed and iI had success with it but everybody is different so that would be up to you whether you want to try that or not. Again, please look at my SCD journey thread because I think it might help you

Best of luck!

You can make the yogurt on a heating pad, but you can also buy yogurt machines really cheap at rummage sales, Goodwill stores, St. Vincent DePaul stores, etc. The difference between $2 and $100, is significant.

Your can also make kefir instead. Not only does it contain far more probiotics, it's a lot less expensive, because the kefir grains can be used over and over again. You can also make water kefir, from water kefir grains, sweetened with honey. Or kombucha.

We did not use any dairy for quite some time. E didn't do well with probiotics and he had to heal before he could tolerate them. We have now added in an SCD legal acidophilus. Many strands of probiotics are considered questionable for IBD.

We started with the intro and slowly added foods as described on
www.pecanbread.com

This is a more difficult and limiting way to go about it but it really helped me to see what E could not tolerate. At first, E didn't tolerate beef and many fruits and veggies, etc. As the diet has allowed him to heal, he has been able to introduce more and more foods. He can eat most fruits and veggies now ~ raw or cooked.

We have had to view this as a healing process. Especially at first, we had days where E was definitely improving and days where we were unsure. Elaine says to expect some bouts and setbacks for up to 6-12 months. When I look back over the last 3 months and think about where he started, it amazes me! We occasionally have a bad day here and there now but all of his days were bad then. Our bad days are getting less and less. I can't wait to see where he is in a year!

It is difficult to let go of beloved foods. I think you will find it worth it if you stick to it.

Also, you should keep in mind that you WILL feel worse before you feel better. The first little bit is what they call die off or detox and you will feel awful. You will think you surely can't live another day. If you push through, you will see the light :)

Keep us posted!

Thanks everyone for you quick responses. I was really hoping I would get some good info before starting Monday. Bethany, I think it's really interesting that we're on the same medication and starting the diet in the same day! It should be even more interesting to see how we both react to the diet. Keep me posted on your progress as well. Beth, thanks for the crockpot recipe for the yogurt. I will definitely check out the youtube videos on that. I had also heard that Dannon was a good yogurt to get. KWalker, I have read your thread on your SCD journey and it was one of the main reasons I decided to do the diet. I also learned from you not to try and make too many expensive snacks that involve nut flour lol. I mainly just want the yogurt for the cheesecake. It doesn't involve any flours and so I think it will be less expensive to make. I do plan to do the intro diet simply because I feel like I will be missing out on all of the benefits of the diet if I don't. I know it's a silly idea; guess it's a mind thing lol. Ya noy I don't exactly know what kefir is, but I've heard a lot of people talk about it as an alternative so I'll check it out. Charleigh, I've also read your thread on E's journey and have learned a lot from it. Thanks for letting us be a part of your child's journey. I've seen through a lot of you guys' threads that I should expect to feel worse before I get better. I think I will be ok in making it as I have a pretty high tolerance for pain and great self-discipline. However, my husband hates to see me suffering at all and will probably want me to stop the diet. But I think if I explain to him the process he should be alright. I have bought the book "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" and have already read it so I think I will be prepared come Monday. You all have been incredibly helpful, but I have one more question :) Where the heck do I find plain non-flavored gelatin??? Oh I did manage to find some saccharin. I thought I would have to order it when I couldn't find some at Walmart, but surprisingly I found some in my local Piggly Wiggly. Who would have ever thought it lol.

Non-flavored gelatin is "Knox" sold in boxes of packets or loose near the jello section of your grocery store. Mine is always on the top shelf. Target, Walmart, Krogers, Whole Foods all sell this.

Thanks, MomRocksOut. I found some this afternoon. I'm cooking my stuff now so it will be ready for tomorrow. I'm also cooking my "last eat what I want meal" lol. Gonna have a big soda and some fried chicken!! I'll keep you guys posted as I go throughout my day tomorrow.

I really think you will do great with this, especially if you have read the book and you expect it to be worse at first. When E was diagnosed I read and read and researched til my eyes hurt and Elaine's book was the first thing that really made sense. I am glad that you have read it.

I think it helped me that KWalker started the diet not long after E. It has been great to have someone to go through it with. Just when I would question whether this was a sane journey, K would post about his progress and it would encourage me to keep going. I am sure he would say it has been the same for him too. So just know that we are here and we are in the same boat. I will also tell you what I told KWalker when he began....if you feel like you can't continue, remember that there is an eleven year old boy in the southern USA sticking to this diet. E found great joy in food before he got crohn's (maybe too much joy, lol). He wasn't overweight at all but he sure loved to eat and his favorite food was bread :) Yet, he will tell anyone who asks that the diet is completely worth it!

Thanks, Charleigh. Like I said before your thread and KWalker's were the two threads that really inspired me to start this. I must say, I did think it would be difficult but when I say your young son was doing it, it gave me strength to start. I'm going to start a new thread dedicated to my journey and I hope you guys will continue to support me on it and continue to post new things in your threads as they really help us all. Thanks again for everything. This really helps me not to feel so alone. Charleigh on a side note, I would love for you to "meet" my husband and share your experiences as a loved one of someone with Crohn's with him. I've found help and support here and I know he can too. I know he's not suffering physically like me, but he goes through a lot emotionally watching me be sick. Not to mention that it just sucks all around for him because I can't do and participate in things with him like I used to. Anyway, I'm going to ask him to set up an account and get to know you guys. Thanks again!

I think it would be great for him to get an account. He could read the posts on here about SCD and read stories from those with Crohn's.

I think your ability to keep up with your husband will improve if you choose the diet. It has made a huge difference for E.