• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

SCD Advice

Hi,

I have had UC actively for 10yrs, and prednisone stopped working. I found SCD, didn't do the intro, but dropped the carbs and sugar, reduced milk-wow what a difference! Then my symptoms started kicking up again a few months later, and I decided to go back to the intro diet. I have now been on SCD for 2 wks, but my symptoms are worse, lots of D-mucus, some bleeding, and overall fatigue and flue-like symptoms. I'll admit I had two cheats-one small handful of corn chips, and a little cream in my coffee, but it certainly didn't seem to make things worse. Am I still in die-off? I tried cheese and had a violent reaction, so even though I am making the yogurt perfectly, I will try goat's milk to see if that helps, and I love honey in the baking....but maybe too much?

Any feedback would be muchly appreciated!
K

Along with cheating (even small cheats) being a problem, I would guess that you added in new foods too quickly (yogurt and cheese in particular).

I also felt like I had to completely stay away from honey until I felt confident that I was no longer having symptoms.

How much are you baking? Nut flours can be great for special treats, but relying on them too much (instead of eating mostly veggies, meats, and some fruit) can work against you.

Another SCD lifestyle article that might be helpful:

http://scdlifestyle.com/2011/03/what-to-do-when-the-scd-diet-isnt-working/

Personally, there are a lot of things in scd diet I can't tolerate. I had to go Paleo/low FODMAP. If scd doesn't seem to be working, maybe give it a try. Let me know if you do, and how it works. Making a huge difference for me.

Personally, there are a lot of things in scd diet I can't tolerate. I had to go Paleo/low FODMAP. If scd doesn't seem to be working, maybe give it a try. Let me know if you do, and how it works. Making a huge difference for me.
What is the stuff that worked in Paleo that didn't work in SCD?

As said on another thread, I think I can't handle veggies. I am beginning to think that carbs, lactose, grains are all fine...veggies not.

Pre-CD I used to eat a ton of salad and fruit and rarely ate veggies. When I started to add more veggies to my diet I had problems. After a few months of the problems I went to the doctor and ended up getting diagnosed with CD.

Now I have to figure out if that's coincidence or...

Hi,

I have had UC actively for 10yrs, and prednisone stopped working. I found SCD, didn't do the intro, but dropped the carbs and sugar, reduced milk-wow what a difference! Then my symptoms started kicking up again a few months later, and I decided to go back to the intro diet. I have now been on SCD for 2 wks, but my symptoms are worse, lots of D-mucus, some bleeding, and overall fatigue and flue-like symptoms. I'll admit I had two cheats-one small handful of corn chips, and a little cream in my coffee, but it certainly didn't seem to make things worse. Am I still in die-off? I tried cheese and had a violent reaction, so even though I am making the yogurt perfectly, I will try goat's milk to see if that helps, and I love honey in the baking....but maybe too much?

Any feedback would be muchly appreciated!
K
Die-off won't last more than a week, but cheats throw everything out the window.
Try the intro (if you have D then 5 days and then work throught the stages of rientroducing food,
Nobody can help with why the diet isn't working if you are not 100% on the diet.

JUST BECAUSE A FOOD IS "LEGAL" DOES NOT MEAN YOU CAN EAT IT.
YOU HAVE TO REINTRODUCE FOODS SLOWLY AND SEE IF IT IS TOLERATED
"The intro diet should be done for two to three days, four to five days for those with diarrhea. Some people end up staying on the intro for weeks and wonder why they experience extreme fatigue etc..FIVE DAYS IS THE MAXIMUM."
http://pecanbread.com/f/how/introdiet.html
"-Introduce ONE new food at a time- a two to four day interval is a great (but not mandatory) guideline for introducing new foods. This will make it possible determine whether each new food can be tolerated.
-This chart is based on the healing process that is taking place.
It is not based on a timeline. Some people may be able to add new foods more quickly than others. "

http://pecanbread.com/p/how/stages.html
try coconut cream in your coffee (just a splash).
The yougurt...... maybe wait a bit longer and start with a teaspoon, then two, and so on

What is the stuff that worked in Paleo that didn't work in SCD?

As said on another thread, I think I can't handle veggies. I am beginning to think that carbs, lactose, grains are all fine...veggies not.

Pre-CD I used to eat a ton of salad and fruit and rarely ate veggies. When I started to add more veggies to my diet I had problems. After a few months of the problems I went to the doctor and ended up getting diagnosed with CD.

Now I have to figure out if that's coincidence or...

The things on SCD that don't work for me: dairy, legumes, starches.
Also, I used to think that veggies were killing me, but once I started the new diet, I tolerated them well. I think for two reasons: first, there was less inflammation in there so they passed easier; second, I'm pretty careful about eating low FODMAP veggies and cook them well. I eat lots of roasted root veggies, juice my veggies and eat them in lots of soups- even blended sometimes.