• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

SCD Diet and Fat

I'm thinking about starting the SCD diet but one of my biggest triggers, along with foods that are high in soluble fiber, are foods high in saturated fat. Mono-saturated fats tend to not cause issues. I can usually get away with eating a few nuts, eggs, and liquid oils, but eating too much of these things can cause problems. More importantly, yogurt and cheeses tend to cause a lot of problems for me. I was just eating some non-fat greek yogurt today and I think this caused some problems too?

Has anyone tried making homemade nonfat yogurt, and would it work for this diet? Has anyone tested this diet while having fat as a trigger and did it help? Do you think I should consider another diet like paleo or gaps instead?

Thank you for your time!

Hi, I also have trouble with large quantities of fat and fiber. I haven't identified which types of fat or fiber bother me, just that when the overall load of fat and fiber is high that I have trouble. You can definitely make scd yoghurt with low-fat milk, I have made it with semi-skimmed milk often, and I assume skimmed would be fine too. Since the diet is quite low calorie, I generally stuck to making the yoghurt with whole milk in order to maintain my weight.
That said, I am not sure if scd suits me, so I didn't stick with it for very long (I was breastfeeding at the time and it was too difficult/tiring). Personally, I have had much more success with the LOFFLEX diet (low fat, fiber limited exclusion diet) which was designed for crohns patients by a team of doctors at addenbrokes hospital in the UK. I recommend you read the book "inflammatory bowel disease" by professor john hunter. He recommends beginning with two weeks of elemental diet before proceeding to the lofflex diet, however I think the lofflex diet on its own is quite helpful.

I should add, just so you have an idea so that you can decide whether to get the book: the lofflex diet allows potatoes and rice, excludes all dairy and grains (other than rice). Fruit and veg are limited to two portions each per day (peeled and seedless), and excludes some (tomatoes, onions, corn, apples, bananas, citrus fruits). After some time on the diet you can start to introduce the excluded foods one by one and see if you react to them.

Thank you so much for the reply! I think I'll consider the lofflex diet before jumping to scd as it's very similar to the diet I'm following at the moment. I should be able to get a copy of the book soon!

How important is the elemental diet before starting the lofflex diet? I'm actually quite healthy at the moment as long as I avoid my triggers (my weight and energy levels are normal, I'm getting enough vitamins - i recently had a surgery after a failed colonscopy so I had to get the part of my intestine that was causing most of my problems taken out!). I'm just trying to reach a point where I don't have to continuously avoid fibrous and fatty foods because that lifestyle doesn't seem healthy or sustainable.

The elemental diet is quite important. The theory behind Prof Hunter's diet is that the immune system is mistakenly attacking certain bacteria in the gut, and that you can manipulate which bacteria populate the gut through diet. The elemental diet starves out much of the bacteria, so that you start with a clean slate so to speak. That said, he does say that patients who are reasonably well controlled on medication can go directly to the lofflex diet.

All the crohns diets are fairly difficult to sustain I think and require a huge degree of commitment unfortunately. I find low-fat low-fiber scd to be quite difficult, as it leaves me having to eat tons of meat.
Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions!
One thing that he doesn't say in the book but which is an important thing to avoid (I am a patient of his and so he told me this at one of my appointments) is "resistant starch". This is when a starchy food - so, rice and potato for our purposes - gets cold (even if it is reheated). This type of starch is processed differently and is not digested so easily, becoming fuel for bacteria. Basically it is like having extra fiber. So it is best to have your rice and potato freshly cooked, at least at first, and then later testing to see if you can tolerate them cold or reheated..
Good luck with whichever diet you choose!

Many site recommend not starting yougurt till you've been on the diet for a while (a month or so) and it has to be "legal" yougurt.
Many can't do dairy at all, and that's ok, leave it out.
Low fat yougurt has more sugar to make it palatable, and most shop yougurt is high in lactose.
Make your own, try sheep or goat milk, or coconut, or non-dairy probiotics.

Fat intake usually needs to be increased slowly so the digestion can work up to it,
Dropping a load of fat into a system that is unaccustomed to it is never going to work out well.

Try other fats (coconut,pasture fed meat) but work up slowly.
The problem might be fat or might be dairy, or might be both, and one or the other or both may resolve themselves as healing occurs.

If it doesn't sit well leave it out.
There are lots of things i like about loflex but alot of foods i wouldn't go near (all the soy and vegetable oils for a start. Look into "Perfect Health Diet" - paleo based but allows white rice and paleo carbs (tubers)

I think "Perfect Health Diet" is probably the ideal diet, but maybe not restrictive enough when crohns is active? It allows some dairy (even ice cream I think?) for one thing, whereas to my mind lofflex is a safer starting point... I agree soy products and vegetable oils aren't great, but it's easy to avoid them and just have rice milk instead of soy milk, and to use olive oil and coconut oil instead of other oils.