• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

SCD interview with Tucker Sweeney

I like their philosophy on growing their own veggies, buying from neighbors and local farmers, and basically viewing the SCD diet as going back to cooking the way it was done, before you could take an entire meal out of the freezer, and just throw it in the microwave

Good article. Thank you :).

Ya noy, I was thinking that same thing when I was on it before. I was feeling sorry for myself and tired and whining and realized this was how EVERYBODY cooked decades ago. Even my mom, who is 68, remembers not being able to buy sodas and junk food everywhere (let alone eating everything processed). She remembers when mayo was a luxury, lol.

Wish I had a family with a big garden and hunter friends too.

And it wasn't even that many decades ago either, especially not when you consider that before electric/gas stoves, not only did they cook from scratch, but over fire to boot!

Speaking of soda. To make your own SCD legal, fermented bubbly root beer soda the old fashion way...

Go in woods and find a sassafras tree. You can tell it's a sassafrass tree by breaking off twigs and smelling--they will smell like root beer. (Alternatively, you can use root beer powder or extract as long as it does not contain sugar, or only in minute quantities.).

Break of some of the smaller twigs from sassafras tree, and whittle off the bark. Put naked twigs in water, boil for about 1/2 hour to make a tea from twigs, cool, and discard twigs from liquid. Add honey to taste and a little ale yeast. (1/8th teaspoon per gallon).

Pour into clean, empty, plastic soda bottles, screwing caps on tight. Ferment at room temp for 2 days and then store in frig. and drink.

You used to be able to buy sassafras powder, but it's another one of those products which were made illegal because it can be used to make MDMA (ecstacy)

Can be made using sassafras roots, if you feel like digging, but do not use the bark as it contains a carcinogenic, which is why you whittle it off the twigs first.

I know re: fire! We take a lot for granted, no doubt about that.

That sounds good! I used to live in Missouri and we had sassafras trees all over the place. They smell like Fruit Loops to me. If I still lived there I'd make some. Probably only once but I'd like to do it.

I know re: fire! We take a lot for granted, no doubt about that.

That sounds good! I used to live in Missouri and we had sassafras trees all over the place. They smell like Fruit Loops to me. If I still lived there I'd make some. Probably only once but I'd like to do it.
I was a Girl Scout, and it was one of our camping traditions, which my husband and I have continued ever since.