• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Scientists Get a Better Understanding of How Stress Can Inflame the Gut in IBD Patients

Scipio

" Psychological stress is known to worsen the gut inflammation caused by certain bowel diseases. Now scientists have found out why. New research1 outlines a sweeping narrative that begins with chemical cues produced in the brain and ends with immune cells in the gut — a sequence that spells trouble for people with these conditions. "

Bufford

Thanks for sharing. In my case, family tensions are likely behind my latest prognosis. Giving in to their greed, and accepting it is probably the best way to go forward.

Thanks for sharing. In my case, family tensions are likely behind my latest prognosis. Giving in to their greed, and accepting it is probably the best way to go forward.
Hi Bufford - all I can say is stay strong and healthy. There is no panacea when families go through a tense period. But stay hopeful and if possible stay assertive.

@Scipio thanks for sharing. A quick browse through the link and it seems that a lot more research is required for this and the challenge is who will fund it and take it step by step to some sort of treatment.

Hi Bufford. That does not sound like the best approach to me. If you suppress your (healthy) anger towards other people, the suppression will lead to chronic stress. May I suggest seeing a lecture by Gabor Maté (YouTube) or buying his book "When The Body Says No".
He is a phycisian / psychologist who has some really interesting observations on how emotional stress can lead to chronic disease.
And, how to break out by saying no (in a healthy way) to stressors.