• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Secondary side effects of cytotoxic drugs used to treat Crohn's/Ulcerative Colitis.

I was 5 months pregnant when my partner was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis.
Unknown to me he was prescribed and took Azathioprine 175 mg and Ifleximab, Mesalazine granules and Methotrexate. I was totally unaware of the medications he was taking and continued to have sex with my partner and thus may of inadvertently subject my baby to possible secondary negative side effects to my baby through sperm and body fluids. I am deeply worried that my baby may of been hurt. I am also concerned about the secondary side effects to other children and myself - such as coming into contact with sweat, sperm or sleeping next to my partner while he is on these cytotoxic drugs.

Your baby has been completely protected by the mucus plug that develops immediately after conception. The plug keeps bacteria (and anything else) from entering the uterus. Please don’t worry. You can also call your ob/gyn for reassurance. In addition, many of the drugs used in crohn’s are safe for pregnant women; the doses given for inflammatory bowel disease are very small.

Lady Organic

Staff member
hello and welcome. You can stop worring. There wont be anything you or your child can suffer from being close to a person who takes our medication. Simply do not touch the medication pills with your bare hands (Aza or methotrexate) and put all of them in a safe place away from children so only your partner can touch them and you will all be very fine:)