• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Seeking referral: IBD docs at Mt. Senai and Boston Children

Hi there, has anyone had any experience with Mt. Senai or Boston Children IBD research/center? I am looking to visit them in the summer and would love some referrals for doctors whom you highly recommend. Thank you!

my little penguin

Staff member
Not sure on Boston childrens
But Mayo Clinic will Not see your child if they have seen more than two Gi ‘s previously in a short period of time (a few years )
We were going to seek a second opinion from Mayo but since Ds had a primary Gi and one second opinion Gi mayo agreed to see him
We canceled the appt later since it wasn’t needed

Since your child has already been seen by three gi’s they probably will not see your child

Not sure on Boston childrens
But Mayo Clinic will Not see your child if they have seen more than two Gi ‘s previously in a short period of time (a few years )
We were going to seek a second opinion from Mayo but since Ds had a primary Gi and one second opinion Gi mayo agreed to see him
We canceled the appt later since it wasn’t needed

Since your child has already been seen by three gi’s they probably will not see your child
I am puzzled :unsure: Is Mt. Senai Mayo Clinic?

my little penguin

Staff member
No mt Sinai is not Mayo Clinic
But a lot of places that are bigger and see children with ibd will Not see your child if you have already seen three Gi’s for your child
They call it “doctor shopping “
Even though Ds had been with his primary Gi for 6 years and second opinions (one at cchmc - Cincinnati childrens over 2 years before ) - Mayo was adamant about who they are willing to give a second opinion too

No mt Sinai is not Mayo Clinic
But a lot of places that are bigger and see children with ibd will Not see your child if you have already seen three Gi’s for your child
They call it “doctor shopping “
Even though Ds had been with his primary Gi for 6 years and second opinions (one at cchmc - Cincinnati childrens over 2 years before ) - Mayo was adamant about who they are willing to give a second opinion too
Actually we have seen 4 total. Lol.

my little penguin

Staff member
If you have seen 4 Gi’s
Why would he need to see another one ?
Did the four Gi’s not agree on a crohns dx ?
Did they think it is something else ?
We went for second opinion when the primary Gi was not sure if Ds had crohns

crohnsinct

At Mt. Sinai Marla Dubinsky is the guru but they don’t let you “choose” her. You could request but she then has to review your case and decide it is worth her taking it on as she is the director of the Peds IBD Center and the asst director of the adult center.

Boston is pretty much the same, you could request but you get who you get and you don’t get upset.

Honestly, I know two of the GI’s your son has seen and his case is pretty straight forward right now and the docs are pretty much giving you standard of care. Both of them run in the heavy hitter circles so you are not likely to hear anything different than you have already heard.

Also, don’t discount that you have UCSF and Seattle a lot closer to you. UCSF is more of the same but Seattle are the trail blazers with regard to diet interventions with peds so I would suspect you would be more likely to hear something different there. David Suskind is the guru there.

At Mt. Sinai Marla Dubinsky is the guru but they don’t let you “choose” her. You could request but she then has to review your case and decide it is worth her taking it on as she is the director of the Peds IBD Center and the asst director of the adult center.

Boston is pretty much the same, you could request but you get who you get and you don’t get upset.

Honestly, I know two of the GI’s your son has seen and his case is pretty straight forward right now and the docs are pretty much giving you standard of care. Both of them run in the heavy hitter circles so you are not likely to hear anything different than you have already heard.

Also, don’t discount that you have UCSF and Seattle a lot closer to you. UCSF is more of the same but Seattle are the trail blazers with regard to diet interventions with peds so I would suspect you would be more likely to hear something different there. David Suskind is the guru there.
Yeah two people have recommended Dubinsky - heavy weight. I requested someone else (b4 finding out about Dubinsky) in her office and got it. I am sure under Dubinsky's leadership, they are all fantastic and I am totally looking forward to learn more.

"you could request but you get who you get and you don’t get upset." - this is funny. :LOL: I used to say to the kindergartners too.

Yeah, I am not looking for a different diagnosis. I always want to recruit great doctors into my life.

Interesting Suskind is up there in Seattle? Thanks for letting me know!