• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Self confidence.

I’m 17 years old and have recently been diagnosed with crohns diseases although I’ve been struggling for 4 years now. Recently I’ve developed two fistulas and have had reoccurring abscess, I have two setons in place now. I start infliximab soon and then i’m hoping that the setons will be remove and my symptoms will be minimal. Because of my age I find it difficult to talk about as it’s not something my friend would understand, and I can already tell my parents are worried about me but recently I’ve been feeling very overwhelmed and need someone to talk to I’ve noticed a change in my emotions and I have major self confidence issues as I often struggle to walk long distances and I worry about the setons being unattractive especially as I’m in a relationship. He’s very supportive and assures me he isn’t bothered but I find it hard to believe. I guess I just wondered if this is a normal feeling, I don’t have any experience like this but I feel worried about it all and worry that it’s effecting my life in all other aspects as I’m hesitant about what will happen in he future or make excuses when going out as I’m worried I won’t be near a toilet. Then in later life with university as I’ll be away from the network of friends I trust and who try to help me. I think I’m just needing someone to talk to and to find out if what I’m feeling is normal. Thank you for reading my story.

Last edited:

cmack

Staff member
Talk to me here any time. I have had several setons and a few abscesses, fistulas etc. You can pm me if you would rather talk in private as well. Welcome to the forum.

Scipio

Welcome, Cactusgirl,
You have come to the right place. Because pretty much everyone here or (their close relative) is going through some version of same things you are experiencing. And I'm here to tell you that once you find the right combination of medication, diet, and healthy positive lifestyle, your disease will likely be very well controlled.

So be determined and focused. Work closely with your gastroenterologist. You can use this site as a good source of information and support. And you can say absolutely anything here about your disease and not feel embarrassed, because we are all in the same boat.

Welcome, Cactusgirl,
You have come to the right place. Because pretty much everyone here or (their close relative) is going through some version of same things you are experiencing. And I'm here to tell you that once you find the right combination of medication, diet, and healthy positive lifestyle, your disease will likely be very well controlled.

So be determined and focused. Work closely with your gastroenterologist. You can use this site as a good source of information and support. And you can say absolutely anything here about your disease and not feel embarrassed, because we are all in the same boat.

Thank you, I’m hoping once on the infliximab it’ll settle.

Last edited: