• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Serious burning tummy since starting Prednisolone

I started 40mg Pred 12 days ago and for the last 7 days my belly has felt on fire after every bowel movement.

It the stays like that for the rest of the day until late at night. I'm only able to eat in these small windows where I'm not in pain.

Anyone had any experience of this? Am I reacting badly to the pred? The pain is not where it usually is for Crohn's which for me is usually left and right of my belly button. This pain is above my belly button and even spreads round to my back, it's much more constant and like a burning sensation. Not the usual crohn's cramps I get

I'm losing my mind a bit being in pain so often, Need some advice!

Pain above the belly button is often your stomach. Also the burning you're describing sounds like a stomach ulcer or severe gastritis. Pred can cause stomach ulcerations. You are taking it with food correct? You have to take with food, I've always taken with as much food as I can tolerate...carbohydrate was best for me. Yes please contact your Doctor immediately. Maybe they will suggest a PPI or antacid be taken alongside.

Pain above the belly button is often your stomach. Also the burning you're describing sounds like a stomach ulcer or severe gastritis. Pred can cause stomach ulcerations. You are taking it with food correct? You have to take with food, I've always taken with as much food as I can tolerate...carbohydrate was best for me. Yes please contact your Doctor immediately. Maybe they will suggest a PPI or antacid be taken alongside.

That's a really good point. My GP warned me about this when I started them as I have duodenal ulcers, she advised me to double the dose of PPI for the duration of treatment with steroids. If you haven't had an upper GI scope it might be a good idea if things don't settle down x

Thanks for this, I think you could be right. Nothing was suggested to me about this side effect because I have been on pred before a couple of years ago and had no such problems. But as we know, things change it can't be a coincidence that it started to get bad about 2 days after I started pred

An I will add I haven't taken it with food every time, I was told it didn't really matter. Clearly does though! Some mornings I've just taken it with water and not had food for a while after

Update - just wanted to thank you Sophabulous it looks like you were spot on. 3 days on Omeprazole and my tummy feels the best it's felt in months! Hope it continues :)