• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Seriously lowered sex drive on Humira?

Has anyone else had a serious low sex drive while on Humira?

I am 27-and my fiance and I used to have a really healthy sex life. Now I just feel nothing! I never feel turned on or anything. I feel like I've lost my sex drive altogether.

If you have had this issue, were you able to do something to help you?

I'm not on birth control.. (not allowed to bc of chronic fatigue and a whole bunch of other reasons dealing with my mental health. I suffer from severe depression/anxiety)

Thanks alL! :heart:

David

Co-Founder
Hi Ali,

I see you requested additional support. I'm sorry you haven't received any answers until now.

Are you sure that the lowered sex drive is due to Humira? Have you been able to strongly correlate the two?

Hopefully others can give you some first hand experiential accounts soon!

nogutsnoglory

I have not heard of Humira causing this side effect. You mention chronic fatigue and severe depression, both of which can certainly lower your interest and ability to have sex. Are you on any anti-depressants? Many have a side effect and lower sex drive.

Well, I didn't have a lowered sex drive up until I started the Humira. I know depression & anxiety don't help, but I've been on medication for that for years & years as I've dealt with a very abusive past. My fiance & I have been together for 6 years, and yea we had some dry spells, but nothing to this is extreme.

I don't know what else could be the reason because since October (when I started the Humira)-I've really noticed that I have absolutely no sex drive. I'm going to speak to my gastro about it as well as my gyno, so hopefully I'll figure something out.

Thanks again. :)

nogutsnoglory

It's not impossible that humira is causing some issues for you, it would just be either very uncommon or you might be one of the first to report it.

Keep in mind that correlation does not equal causation. It may seem humira is the only cause but it could be a number of things including the interaction between medications.

I hope you find an answer to your problem and think its great you will ask your docs.

If holding your weight has been an issue I would have your hormone levels checked. That could be coming into play here.

Well, I didn't have a lowered sex drive up until I started the Humira. I know depression & anxiety don't help, but I've been on medication for that for years & years as I've dealt with a very abusive past. My fiance & I have been together for 6 years, and yea we had some dry spells, but nothing to this is extreme.

I don't know what else could be the reason because since October (when I started the Humira)-I've really noticed that I have absolutely no sex drive. I'm going to speak to my gastro about it as well as my gyno, so hopefully I'll figure something out.

Thanks again. :)
Actually I heard from NIH that this is not a known direct effect from Humira. BUT! they did say, "initial loading doses can put someone's body through a adjustment period effecting sexual desire and other emotional issues, such as the known side effect of fatigue." But they were not 100%. Are you feeling tired/fatigued after doses? it took me 2 months to get over that.

Hi taylor, the low sex drive might be down to the depression rather than the humira. low sex drive is one of the most common symptoms of depression.

Actually I heard from NIH that this is not a known direct effect from Humira. BUT! they did say, "initial loading doses can put someone's body through a adjustment period effecting sexual desire and other emotional issues, such as the known side effect of fatigue." But they were not 100%. Are you feeling tired/fatigued after doses? it took me 2 months to get over that.
I am ALWAYS exhausted the day on my injection. I was on in for 2 months before I had surgery and now back on it, so maybe it'll take time to build up in my system.

I did talk to my doctors and they think that it might be a hormonal issue which can be connected to the Humira. I'm seeking out a new gyno at the moment, so once I find one that I really like, I will have my hormone levels checked.

My psyciatrist does not think it is the depression medication, as I have been on it since 2006 and actually have lowered my dosage a lot since then! I went from 30mg a day to 10mg now. She doesn't think it makes sense to randomly start having this problem after not having it for all the other years. So *fingers crossed* that it gets better and I find a good gyno to help me out! Just sucks because I really want to make sure I can have kids and if my hormones are out of wack, I'm not sure what that means in terms of getting pregnant. We shall see.

I think it's safe to say that Crohn's is the sexiest illness of them all - running to the bathroom 5 times a day, now that's hot.

Seriously - my friend's wife is on medication for dpression and bipolar tendancies (she's totally normal and really with it...) and she says her sex dive is way down as the drugs are mood supressors.

Best of luck.

I was on Humira for several months and it didn't affect my drive. Crohn's flares will, recent surgeries will until the anesthetic gets out of your system, depression and anxiety in itself can cause issues, and just the stress of having an illness that isn't responding to treatment is stressful.

There are so many things that can cause a low drive. Be sure to eat healthy, whatever your gut can tolerate, exercise once you get the all clear from your surgeon, don't overdo anything, take the time to rest if your body is telling you HEY, I AM TIRED. NAP TIME!!
and find the little things in life that make you smile and relaxed...even if it's reading, watching a funny DVD, being with your main squeeze and hanging out, etc.

Remember, you just had surgery. These things take time to get back to normal.

((hugs)):):):):)

If you google the words Humira and libido, you'll see that a number of others have reported that Humira has had a negative effect on their sex drive as well. Here's a link to an article reporting on a study performed on Humira. Only .02% reported a decrease in libido, but frankly, even less of a percentage developed the potentially deadly skin condition that my husband was afflicted with from taking Lisinopril.

http://www.ehealthme.com/ds/humira/libido+decreased

Just because it's not one of the more commonly known negative side effects, doesn't mean it's not a negative side effect.

You've just had surgery, is this your first? Surely that's going to have an impact on how you feel for many reasons.

No matter how long you've been with somebody, if you don't feel comfortable with yourself you can't feel comfortable with somebody else. Maybe just sit and talk with your fiance about if either of you have any concerns. A bit of reassurance may do you some good.

I hope things get better for you soon :hug:

I have the same issue. I started Humira in August of 2013 and I have noticed the same effect. I also don't have any sort of urge or desire for sex. If I don't consciously think about it I don't even miss it. At first I thought it was just coincidence but it's been 7 months and it hasn't gotten any better that is why I was searching to see if anyone else had the same problem. I see a gastro next month. I will definitely have to mention it and see what he says. The bad thing is the hospital that I go to is unable to get a gastroenterologist on staff. They have had 2 "visiting gastroenterologists" seeing patients and it's hard to see any one doctor continuously. I'll just have to hope for the best. I'll let you know what I find out.

I have been on Humira for two months. My libido, which is typically very strong has left me. not a nice feeing. No problem with erection, but interest is at an all time low. Even when engaged, a rarity, it seems like I am numb.
Used remicade for 2 years with no problem, but Drs. say I have built anti-bodies against it.
Any ideas.

Hey man im 29 years old and im facing the same problem atm im on humira and i think humira is making me loos my sex drive i never use to be like that till i started using humira .
Im really worried about it ...

It's been about 4 months since I started the shots. Like most the first 4 and then the next 2 were brutal but once I got going on the maintenance it isn't too bad, not until the day before the new cycle starts. But sexually I have never been so uninterested. I was never a Don Juan in that department but this is ridiculous. Anyone had relief?

I'm losing my sex drive trying to ween off remicade.

I feel like I've lost all feeling in my nether regions.
Sorry to hear this. I had heard Remicade had that effect so I went to Humira only to find I'm headed in the direction. Hard to know which poison to choose. And then I took a moment to read the Humira warnings and they scare the crap out of you too. Particularly the part about they have no history beyond about 10 months of continuous use. Shit, I'm only a few months away. Scary. No sex drive and the black hole. Whatever next? Best of luck.

Sorry to hear this. I had heard Remicade had that effect so I went to Humira only to find I'm headed in the direction. Hard to know which poison to choose. And then I took a moment to read the Humira warnings and they scare the crap out of you too. Particularly the part about they have no history beyond about 10 months of continuous use. Shit, I'm only a few months away. Scary. No sex drive and the black hole. Whatever next? Best of luck.
Yea. Don't know if it's the complete culprit. As my diet for the past year and a half has been nothing but fish chicken and rice. I noticed when I tried to implement red meat and carrots it (sex drive) shoots back up. But I've learned now, officially, red meat is toxic for my colon. As are carrots, no matter how long they are boiled.

I think I need to do more experimentation with my diet and find the right balance that keeps me well. I've been on remicade for 15 years and I've never had a problem. It's only when I started eating in this very strict way it has decreased.

Goodness. 15 years. That's remarkable. I guess my few months isn't worthy of comment or complaint. Carrots I can live without, and quite a few other vegetables. But red meat, not. I tolerate all kinds of pain and discomfort when I eat too much and too often, but hey. I do enjoy it.

Hi. I'd get your GP to order a panel of blood tests on you. It maybe something hormonal or your surgeon may have damaged a nerve cluster.If not there's always the psycho-sexual aspect you could investigate with a therapist. In the meantime, you're not alone. I found the scarring from the surgeries seriously damaged my sex drive and almost ruined my relationship with my long suffering boyfriend. It's the stuff like this that Drs/Surgeons never seem to think about but it can also be the most damaging in the long run. Worth investigating. Good luck.