• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Service Dogs?

I've searched through the forum and haven't been able to find anything about this. I'm sorry if it's been addressed before and I just haven't found it.

I'm wondering if anyone else here has a service dog?

I hadn't thought that there could be such a thing as a service dog for a Crohnie, until Dragon. My mother-in-law was getting a maltipoo and knew that one puppy from that litter needed to come home to me. I'd had a cat that was my heart for 13 years and I always said I wouldn't get a dog while Kapok was with me. Suddenly, over the course of a couple days he was diagnosed with a huge tumor on his liver and I lost him. I was an emotional mess and ended up with that puppy in June of '09.

That Christmas I had a partial blockage and he refused to leave my side, he knew something was wrong. After I got out of the hospital I would notice that Dragon would sometimes become unconsolable. After learning what he was telling me, I realized that he was telling me the pain was coming or something was wrong so I had time to react to it.

He's since had some formal training, but just so he's a good boy in public. Much of our training is me learning to read him. At first it was just pain and that's just wonderful, but then he went further. One day I was walking him outside at a truck stop. He kept dragging me to the doors. I finally let him lead me where he wanted and he took me directly into the handicap stall in the lady's room and sat down. He was right and if I hadn't been in the bathroom I'd have had a horrible mess. He's since done that numerous times when we're out.

His newest thing is telling me when my blood pressure is going wonky. From all the prednisone all these years I have very low blood pressure and a very high pulse rate. He tells me when things are going bad before I know it.

Now whenever Dragon is obviously upset and won't calm down, my daughter turns and asks me what's wrong. One day in Target - he has a carrier that sits in the child seat of the cart (he's only 16lbs) - he has been completely asleep. Suddenly he popped up and made a noise. I asked what was wrong and the pain hit me right after I spoke. Not bad enough to drop me to the floor, but enough that it shocked me.

How he knows this, I have no clue. I do know that he's since developed some of his own digestive issues and takes Pepcid AC. I figure it's due to our strange connection. But I don't know what changes in my chemistry that he's reacting to. Either way, I'm so lucky to have him and don't go anywhere, other than over night at the hospital, without him. And he has been into the hospital to see me, make sure I'm okay.

Am I the only Crohnie here with a service dog? I'm just wondering if I'm the only lucky one.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
No I don't but it sounds neat. I plan on getting a dog again in the future and it would be nice to have one that would be able to help me or anyone close to me. Is it mainly certain breeds or can all dogs do this? I've been wanting a border collie.

I have never heard of a service dog for a Crohnie before, but that sounds amazing! I am not sure if a dog could actively be taught to do that (though maybe so, because you can teach dogs to warn of epileptic seizures).

Alas, my dog is not that sensitive. It took ages to train him not to karate kick me in the stomach when excited.

AndiGirl

Your Story Forum Monitor
You are the first person that I've heard of to have a service dog for Crohns. I love dogs! Yours looks very sweet.

To find more information;Lifewithdogs is good place to find all the stories about cute dogs

I don't know if certain dogs would be better with this than others, but I know it's all him. I had so little to do with his training, other than training him to be a good dog.

I do know that when they're choosing dogs to be service dogs for people with seizures, they send a little of puppies into a room with someone who is epileptic and watch to see which respond and in which ways. It's all in the dog's sensitivity to the human and how they react to the changes in body chemistry.

I'm still completely bowled over at the things Dragon does for me and how little people know about service dogs and what the laws are. I actually was thrown out of a hospital because a security guard didn't know the difference between a service dog and a therapy dog, and Dragon was tweaking out as my blood pressure was crashing. I could barely stand on my own and was thrown out. I know Dragon's purple mohawk didn't help my case (was just a temporary thing, he's too silly to carry off the tough guy thing), but hospital security not knowing the laws just blew my mind.

I will admit that Dragon can be a whiny spaz, but it's mostly over my health or if I'm not close enough to him for him to be able to know what my body is doing. I'm so lucky to have him and never knew anything like this was possible.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
That's really cool! I wonder if my dog could do something like that. I've had my corgi, Lily, for just over 2 months now so we're still getting to know each other. She's 2 years old (I adopted her from a co-worker who couldn't keep her) but she's really smart - I wonder how hard it'd be to teach an adult dog how to do things like this? I haven't had a proper flare since I've had her so I don't know how she'd react to that.

ameslouise

Wow, that's amazing. That's one special dog you've got there! How great to have a helper to deal with the unpredictability of Crohn's!

- Amy

Terriernut

That is one very wonderful dog you have there. In fact, I'm sure that it's not just a dog, but an angel come to help you! Dont laugh, and I'm not religious! You can always try to contact an animal communicator to see what your dog has to say about his 'job' with you. Please dont laugh about that either! It works! Dogs have a very special relationship with us, and are extremely sensitive. I would worry about him taking on your symtoms. It would be good if you could tell him it's not necessary for him to do that.
Misty

Cat - It's always worth a shot with Lily. Possibly come up with an obscure word to say to her when you're in bad shape, that way she's in tuned with your body and its ups and downs. It's all in watching her reactions to things and rewarding her when she hits the mark. The biggest trouble I have with Dragon is calming him when I figure out why he's spazzing. I was once in a doctor's appointment with my hubby and our youngest daughter. The doctor gave us a look, not sure she believed me that he was actually a service dog. All of a sudden he started spazzing out. I quietly pulled my pills out, took what I needed and stuck my tongue out at Dragon with my pills on my tongue. He immediately calmed down. I'm trying to get him to associate my understanding with a word, but so far showing him I'm taking my pills is the only way to calm him. Let's just say the doctor stopped poking our daughter, watched Dragon and I and very obviously was shocked at what she saw.

Misty - I'm not very religious myself, but I believe both Kapok (my wonderful cat who has passed) and Dragon are my little angels. I never thought such a thing was possible, a dog to tell me what my body is doing, but now that I have him, I have no clue what I'd do without him! That he's so sensitive to me is a problem for his guts, but when I brought him to a reiki master who works with animals, he closed off one of Dragon's centers and it took us weeks to get back to our closeness. He was so out of sorts because he had troubles sensing what was going on with me. So he continues to get 5mg of prilosec each day to help keep his tummy calm.