• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Seton-Drain

My doctor told me I have Crohn's and a fistula. I have to get a Seton-Drain. What is surgury like and what kind of side affects are there.

Hey Scared :) The surgury is usually done under general anaesthesia, with a colon prep beforehand. Did your doctor tell you to get some glycerin suppositories?

You'll likely be out cold for the placement, so don't worry about the actual surgury. You'll wake up with some gauze in your butt, and some funny mesh underwear on. Your doc might suggest some stool softeners. Depending on how the surgury goes, you might have stitches. If so, you should avoid water for a day. If not, you can buy a sitz bath at CVS, and use it to soak your new piercing.

You'll hopefully experience some drainage, which can be caught with a pantiliner or gauze. Also, sometimes people get fistula farts... Gas from your bowels passes through the fistula. It feels weird, but isn't painful. Don't be surprised :)

Good luck :D

When I had mine done I didn't need to prep, just nil-by-mouth from midnight.
The surgeon also injected local anesthetic into my bum which lasted about 2 days. Quite welcome if somewhat strange!

It's minor surgery and you can reasonably expect to be up and about the following day. The 'string' can irritate a bit and it will drain puss and blood the whole time, sometimes farts as Ben said.

They didn't put you out beth?! I was told they always put you under for seton placement. That must have been awfully disturbing :S

sawdust

Welcome to the forum, ScaredSenior. Sorry you're going through all this, but there's lots of folks here who can help you understand it all.

I thought the procedure sounded strange and archaic before I had it done - almost like it can't possibly be part of medicine in 2011. It was scarier for me before I learned more about it and satisfied myself with details beforehand.

Here's a link to my experience getting a seton placed. I hope it's helpful to you.

http://www.crohnsforum.com/showpost.php?p=293911&postcount=4

It was a general Ben, completely out of it, and throwing up like a goodun when I came round. They gave me the proper anti-emetics the next two times!

The local anesthetic was just as an extra as the surgeon had done a lot of prodding and poking to try to find the fistula 'entrance' internally. He expected that to hurt once the general had worn off. I was also given tramadol painkillers to take home, but didn't need.

OH. Okay. I was gonna say. Yeah, mine did the same, because she also did an EUA, and thought my bum would be sore even after I woke up. I got T3's... Used them for about a day. No pain, but they kept making me throw up.