• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Seton has come out

Hi everyone,

Sorry I know I’m posting a lot and asking for more support than I’m giving. Feeling a bit worried now as my seton has come out this evening during a visit to the toilet. Only 8 days after my surgery.

I was told by my CRS that it could come out on its own before my post op appointment in 6 weeks (5th January) but I wasn’t expecting it to be this quick if it did. From as much as I can see things look clean and I’ve had a very long sitz bath and some pain meds. The pain isn’t too bad, actually less that I’ve had over the last two days. Wondering if it’s been working it’s way through the muscle?

I called the hospital but nobody is there to deal with this until tomorrow morning. Not sure what’s going to happen now, just hoping it doesn’t result in more surgery :/

Feeling a bit concerned about all this now but will have to get some rest and deal with it all tomorrow. Not sure if I’m exactly asking anything, just needed to vent.

Thanks

Andy

Well the hospital have said to watch and wait. Said as long as there is no significant pain, bleeding or signs of infection that I should wait until by appointment in January. They just told me to contact them right back if there are any changes and they will fit me in to clinic if this is the case.

So fingers crossed it will all be ok...

Trysha

Staff member
If you are still not happy with the way things are you should just go to emergency...someone has to take care of you there.
Medicine by telephone has to be removed....very poor practise in my opinion.
It is shocking that so soon after surgery no one is available to take care of you in a timely manner.
Have you been able to speak with the surgeon at all?
Hope you are feeling better and that things will heal up quickly for you
Hugs
Trysha

Hi,

Thanks so much for your message. No I haven’t been ab,e to speak to the surgeon. Their view was that if there is no significant pain or sign of infection or abscess then I should wait until my next appointment.

I have to admit it is worrying as I don’t want it all to start up again and have to go through the who.e thing from the start. The whole reason he used a seton was to stop that.

I thought I was just over reacting and worrying for nothing as I’ve never dealt with this before and didn’t know anyone else who’s had one.

I will give them another call and ask to come to clinic to see the surgeon ASAP.

Andy

Trysha

Staff member
That is a good idea Andy.
No harm in getting checked out....after all you are not a surgeon and will not have the knowledge or experience to know that everything is ok or otherwise...and I would point this out to them ..politely...
Some of the people dealing with you need to go through these procedures themselves.
Hope you get a kind and speedy resolution to all this.
Hugs
Trysha

Was it a cutting or draining Seton? My draining Seton fell out afew months ago (but I've had it for many years) I've seen my surgeon and we are leaving it out for now. Take care.

I think I had a draining seton. My surgeon was never specific about it though. He just said that it might work it’s way out before my 6 week post op appointment and the colorectal nurse team did not seem concerned about it. I am seeing my GP in the morning about it all as I need more time off work so I’m going to ask them to take a look then I will contact the hospital again.

I don’t have any major pain with it, more discomfort but this worsens and becomes painful the more I am on my feet. Unfortunately my job involves lots of moving around so I don’t quite feel ready yet. I do keep getting a nagging ache in my buttock on the side where the op was done and in the thigh below, almost like a restless leg type discomfort. I will mention this to my GP tomorrow.

Thanks

Andy

Trysha

Staff member
Hi Andy,
It is very important to mention every symptom to your doctor so that a complete evaluation can lead to the proper diagnosis and any infection ruled out.
It is a bit shocking that you do not have the proper access to the surgeon who did the surgery and/or the GI team responsible for ongoing care.
Don’t be afraid to speak up...the squeaky door gets the oil.
Hope it all turns out positive for you and that you will soon heal up.

I think I had a draining seton. My surgeon was never specific about it though. He just said that it might work it’s way out before my 6 week post op appointment and the colorectal nurse team did not seem concerned about it. I am seeing my GP in the morning about it all as I need more time off work so I’m going to ask them to take a look then I will contact the hospital again.

I don’t have any major pain with it, more discomfort but this worsens and becomes painful the more I am on my feet. Unfortunately my job involves lots of moving around so I don’t quite feel ready yet. I do keep getting a nagging ache in my buttock on the side where the op was done and in the thigh below, almost like a restless leg type discomfort. I will mention this to my GP tomorrow.

Thanks

Andy
Definitely take all the time you need off work, if possible. I've made the mistake of going back to quickly and ended up in the hospital again. I find propping my leg up with a pillow under the butt/leg area helps with sleeping, alleviates pressure on the area while laying down. Take care.