• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Seton - How Long?

sawdust

A question for those of you who have had a cutting seton... how long did you have it? How successful was it?

I wasn't able to turn much up on the subject. Thanks.

I was very lucky and only had my (non-cutting) seton for about 6 months before the surgeon thought it would be worth trying an internal stick and fibrin glue - which worked. Some people tho have them in for years.

Edited cos I can't read all the words all of the time.

Last edited:
A question for those of you who have had a cutting seton... how long did you have it? How successful was it?
Hi,

No experience of the cutting variety, but I guess it depends on the amount of tissue that it has to work through? I've had the none cutting variety in place for a couple of years and on one occasion that "cheese wired" through the fistula into good tissue and had to be replaced as it no longer provided good drainage. If I come across any useful information I'll let you know.

Mark

hi,
i haven't had a cutting seton but i might be having one in the near(ish) future, depending on what my mri shows.

i think how long you have it would depend on how high your fistula is but my surgeon has implied that they are often in for over a month.

at the moment my next appt with the surgeon isn't until the end of may but since i had my mri last week i'm going to see if i can get an earlier one and i can let you know if i learn anything useful.

None of the setons I've had have been cutting setons, all 3 have been non-cutting. But, I've had my first one in since February of 2010, a second one for a month (October 2010) before it was taken out, then I just had it replaced at the beginning of February 2011. I'm also getting Remicade treatments hoping to close them up but haven't been having much success. It seems that many do have quick results with the seton/Remicade combo and my body's just being stubborn. I think it just depends on the situation.

sawdust

Thanks for the replies. The plan all along was for it to be a draining seton, but apparently it's been doing some cutting of its own :evil: since I went right back to work. That seems to have my surgeon weighing its use as a cutting seton as a possibility in the near future. We'll see. I won't fib - just the way it's been described is making me a bit nervous. :eek2:

I had my draining Seton for 6 months the first time and 3½ months the second time.

I had a fistulotomy done both times.

Everything is presently closed thanks to weekly Humira shots.

Good Luck

Hi I had a seton in for about 1 year and it worked wonders. I had one horrible fistula that would swell as big as a golf ball and sometimes not drain for weeks, I could barely walk, since I had the setons in and out I have not had one problem with my fistula, its been about 1 1/2 years and it is wonderful. Hope this helps.

Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering: Colossians 3:12

"Definitely have Bowels....of Longsuffering"

sawdust

Well, it sounds like I'm going to be going the more typical route afterall. Despite how much it had cut on its own, the surgeon decided not to use it as a cutting seton, opting instead for an advanced flap procedure in several months. In most ways I'm pleased about this, but the recovery is two weeks! Yuck. Well, I'll worry about that when it rolls around I guess.

Hey Sawdust, I just posted on the peri-anal annie thread about my flap surgery in response to your comment about the setons seeming archaic. Good to hear you are having it. Two weeks is about right for the recovery. The second time around was probably a lot worse than the first, but that's the one that worked, so it was worth it. Did your surgeon discuss the aloe reinforcement? My second surgeon said that's what would make a big difference and it seems it did. I hope it all goes well for you. If you have any questions about the procedure, just let me know.

sawdust

Seton - How Long?
Well, in my case, the answer to this question is four months. My surgeon asked me if I had any real big party plans for Monday (American Independence Day) and I agreed to have the seton removed the following day, so long as he didn't have any big party plans either. ;) I get to celebrate with the miralax bottle :(, but hey, I'm ready to be done with this.