• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Seton removed

dave13

Forum Monitor
I had a draining seton removed about a month ago. So far so good. I had it removed in the surgeons office! I was told by his nurse it would be another procedure but the doc comes in and says we can do it right here. I thought he was kidding me,he does have a good sense of humor. He says,with a smile,you won't even feel it...well,not too much. It felt like having stitches removed. I could feel it but it wasn't painful. I was quite surprised.

One seton removed,two more to go. I next see my colorectal surgeon in December. If the seton removal continues to do well we will discuss the next seton removal.

FYI-the fistulotomy/seton placement was July 2014. I have five fistulas and three setons were placed.

@Dave, Glad to hear the Seton removal is finally occurring for you. It's been a slow process for me as well. I still have two setons remaining. It's been a struggle with the setons initially placed in this fistula tract severing. Waiting on new seton placement due to surgery wait times. Perianal Fistula patients are not a priority in the Canadian Colorectal Surgery scope of practice. Then the fistula tract, that was now "Seton Free" still causing great discomfort & swelling. Finally an ER visit that resulted in a seton placement. Then pain & discomfort still continuing...Another Colorectal Surgery Sigmoid Scope examination. Finally, another EUA scheduled & revealed another tract despite the MRI saying there was not. Thus, my current status now still retaining two setons. Just thought it important to share that Perianal Fistula healing eve with Remicade & Methotrexate can be a challenging process.

dave13

Forum Monitor
Hi Jay

I do feel fortunate the seton removal is going well(knock on wood)so far. I was told the drainage may increase from the fistula the seton was removed from. It did increase for approximately a week and a half and now drains similar to the fistulas that still have setons. The drainage is fairly light to moderate,each day is a bit different. The seton removal wasn't painful but I was a bit tender for a few days after. Now it is back to being uncomfortable like the others,always reminding you they are there.

Yeah,some of us benefit from remicade and some don't. The 'we are all different' mantra can be annoying. It is true none the less. I do use medicinal cannabis but feel that benefits the stricturing crohns more than the perianal/penetrating cd. It's been 8 months since a blockage...a different thread for another time.

I find it surprising Canadian health does not recognize the seriousness of perianal crohn's. Fistulas need to be attended to. They need to be addressed before any further damage is done. I wish you luck and keep me updated.

Great to know, Dave. Hope you continue to feel better. My husband is on Remicade too and has 2 setons. When we asked his GI about seton removal, he said it has to be in for atleast 6 months to help healing and we will talk about removal after an MRI in Jan 2016. Setons were placed in July this year.

dave13

Forum Monitor
Thanks aarthi,so far so good.When I had the fistulotomy I was told the setons would be in 'for some time',possibly years.Imagine my surprise to have a discussion of removing one after just over a year and actually having one removed.I may not want to be on Remicade but have to acknowledge(in my opinion)it has helped me.

I hope your husband benefits from the infusions as well.It takes a bit of getting use to having setons,to put it mildly.It's great you are so supportive,that means so much.My wife is very supportive too and it does help.You have probably heard the term 'new normal' and living with setons is another 'new normal'.It may not always help but when I get down about having setons and infusions I think about the damage the fistulas could of caused if left unchecked.It may seem like forever and a day to your husband right now till the setons are removed,butt(ha,ha)he is taking steps to fight this disease.

I look forward to my appointment in December with my colorectal surgeon...never thought I'd hear myself say those words! Hopefully I'll continue to make progress.

So true, Dave! Without the setons, life would definitely have been a trainwreck. I hope everything goes well for you too :)

Whe.n you talk about seton removal, you are referring to the Dr just cutting the rubber band and removing it? Are setons sometimes placed in places that require a more complicated procedure than just cutting them?
I hope this question doesn't sound snide, it's not meant to be. I ask because I've dealt w fistulas since I was 16 (I'm 46 now) I've had fistulas drained under anesthesia at least 75 times and 2 ileostomies and reversals.
Somehow, I never knew what a seton was. I would think it was an extra stitch and since it felt like a rubber band Id either break it with my fingers or cut it. Quite often they will break on their own so just wondering if they can be more complicated? I had surgery last week and I have a bunch now. It seems like 4-5 and it is helping until we can figure out what's next