• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

seton stitch - 10 months later and still in non stop pain

Hi
I would like to know if my situation is normal? I had a seton stitch put in 10 months ago. In the last 10 months I have only had 2 days without pain. The rest of the time it's 24/7 non stop pain. Some days are better than others but I am always aware of some level of pain. I still can't sit without my doghnut. The pain is in the hole that was made for the stitch and this is over and above my normal pain from the UC.
Regards
Madelein

cmack

Staff member
Hi Madelein,

It could be that where they tied it off has worked itself to the inside of the tissue. I had that happen before and it was very uncomfortable. I would call the GI and see if you can get it looked at. For the time being some lidocaine jelly applied to the area may ease the pain.

Best of luck,

Chris

Hi Chris

Thank you for your response. The connecting points of the stitch is on the outside and can be moved quite easily. Despite that, I still have constant pain. I will definitely try the jelly, thank you.

Is it normal to still have to use the doghnut to sit?

Regards
Madelein

cmack

Staff member
Hi Madelein,

I was able to sit on a couch but nothing with a hard surface. I think an office chair would have hurt me quite badly. The darn things can be quite bothersome. I never tried a doughnut, but I have a pretty high pain tolerance so it may be worse for others. That lidocaine really helped me a lot though. The drug store should have it OTC. Make sure it's the jelly kind, there is another kind and it isn't very helpful.

If you need any more help feel free to ask.

Warm regards,

Chris

Edited to add:

The brand name here is AstraZenica and its trade name is Xylocaine 2% then in smaller print below... lidocaine hydrochloride jelly, USP

It is a Topical Anesthetic

Last edited:
I'd get it looked at. I had mine in 7 months, and by the end they didn't bother me much at all. After the first couple of weeks, I could sit without pain. I have two in, and a fistulotomy done at the same time.

I found sitting on a donut for long periods made it worse. I bought a very soft cushion that's actually intended for wheelchair seats and I found it worked much better.