• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Severe Crohn's Disease

HI! I am new and not sure of what I am doing. I just turned 65 on the 19th of this month. Supposedly on the old side of being diagnosed with Crohn's Disease. Starting about a year ago, I had trouble with anal leaking. It was embarrasing. I didn't feel it, it was just there..It kept getting worse. My primary had me trying Fiber, and Immodium....Nothing worked. Finally, he sent me to a Gastroenterologist.....I was very dehydrated by then. Had me going to the hospital to get IV fluids. That came out as fast as it was going in. Finally, he put me in the hospital. Did a sigmoidoscopy on Friday, and a colonoscopy with biopsies on Monday. They had me in there for two weeks. Finally decided that I had Severe Crohn's Disease. I started Remicade in the hospital. It finally stopped the diarrhea. In July, he had me also take Imuran orally. My joints hurt right away...He said there had to be something else going on, because I shouldn't have joint pain......I begged him to listen to me......I had a total knee replacement in December, and I may not have needed that. I go back tomorrow. My hips hurt a lot.....I have heard several Crohn's sufferers have joint pain......I hate arguing with him.....:sign0085: Any ideas? Helen S

There are a lot of extraintestinal manifestations(EIMs) that can occur with Crohns disease and several types of joint arthralgias and pain are among them. Some run concurrent with active disease and others run independent of active disease. A rheumatologist is a good choice if you are experiencing joint pain with your CD and preferably one who understands the joint EIMs that can come with CD.

Also, for some remicade can cause severe joint pain and if the pain started after remicade you may want to check into that.

Thanks Clash.....I have tried to check into it with my Gastroenterologist, and he pretty much brushes me off......I have an appointment with him on Thursday and I am going to be firm and insist. I tried to switch doctors, and for some odd reason, they won't let me. They say I should stick with the one who knows me best.....But he doesn't. All we do is argue and disagree......It sucks. I am going to really explain this to him and if he still argues, I am going to another doctor. We have the World Famous Mayo Clinic and there are several to pick from....Wish me luck.....:boring:

Click on the link below. It details all of the extraintestinal manifestations of Crohns that can occur. Print it out and highlight the issues you are having ie joint pain. But honestly the GI is good for the GI tract for the joint pain you need to find a good rheumatologist. My son has both as well as a good ophthalmologist since he has eye EIMs with his CD. Click on link below:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3127025/