• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Severe gas pain

My daughter had another colonoscopy a month ago and still has major gas pains. She has so much discomfort... what will help?

I know she is anemic, flare has continued, she says she is in so much pain she wont hardly do her cortifoam or even get started on her asacol enemas.

We made a big choice to stop her Remicade and Imuran because they werent working. All she has is her Asacol oral and enemas. She hasnt been good about taking her iron, vit D (which is low too). she is 15.

I am trying not to pull my hair out.

If you have any ideas about the gas pain, please let us know.
She does have an appt with a local GI thursday, but since she can barely get out of bed, I am afraid she wont be able to go.

any advice is welcome.
thank you

Hello, there are some gentle ideas to help. Reason being is that often the pain from 'wind' is that it is in excess and trapped. To help ease the pain from 'wind' walking can help. Also laying on the side for a bit (10 min.) with or without a heating pad and alternating to the other side can help move the 'wind'.
Being mindful when eating drinking fluids ~ too fast some actually swallow additional air. There are some foods that can produce 'wind', dairy, carbonated beverages, broccoli, etc.
You can ask hers/your Dr. about Simethicone (gas-x or other) it can help some with the pain from 'wind'.

Ask the Dr. about Slow Fe or a slow release for an iron supplement - some iron can cause abdominal pain and nausea.

Always ask hers/your Dr.first.
Peace to you and better days.

If* gives good advice. I don't have gas pains as bad as that, but I do find some moderate exercise, warmth, and Gas-X helps. My wife has also mentioned some yoga positions that are supposed to help, but I don't know them.

Have you had the results back from the scope yet? Is the gas general bloating, or does the bloating show up only in specific areas of the abdomen. If it is specific bloating, it might suggest that there may be an obstruction building - that would be the likely source of trapped gas. If your daughter ends up with nausea/vomiting and stops having movements, I would strongly suggest heading to and emergency room. Just saw the Thursday appointment part of the message - hope it went well today.

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
as natural treatments boil some pieces of ginger in water and have her drink them. ginger is good at relieving nausea but also at helping break up gas.

peppermint is another natural solution that eases the digestive system.

movement can help move the gas through the body. staying immobile keeps it sitting in place with little motivation to go anywhere.