• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Severe pain-Please help

Hello all! Any and all responses are greatly appreciated. I have my first appt w/ the GI doc in 2 wks. I have a myriad of symptoms, the worst being episodes of SEVERE right abdominal pain. The pain lasts 2-4 hours and is constant. This happens every 4 to 8 weeks. The pain is usually RLQ and radiates up to the side (just above my right hip) and wraps around to the back. Im 27 yrs old and otherwise healthy. I was recently diagnosed with a b12 deficiency (cause unknown) and take monthly shots. I have problems with painful bloating and have to carry gas-x in my purse. Also have occasional bouts of diarrhea (cause unknown) about 2-3 times per week.

As far as the abdominal pain, doctors first thought is was ovarian cysts - it isnt. Then they thought kidney stones - negative. Now they are thinking GI. My question is... Have any of you ever had this kind of abdominal pain? Could this be intestinal related? And what about the b12 thing? Im looking fwd to finding answers because this pain thing has been going on for a year. Miserable.

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi Lauren. Welcome aboard. I can only speak from personal experience. If your experiencing sever pain you should go to the ER. At the very least the can check you over and give you something for pain. B12 is absorbed in the terminal ileum. Mine is now gone so I'm on B12 shots. Sending you my best wish and hope this can be figured out quickly and you can get healthy.

Thanks Dave for your response! :) I went to the ER one time, but the pain subsided before they called me back. I felt perfectly fine and so I left (feeling like an idiot). I've since discovered that the pain always subsides after about 3 hours so I know it wouldnt help to go to the ER. As soon as they see Im feeling fine, they will discharge me with instructions to follow-up with my doctor. :(

DJW

Forum Monitor
I hear you. My doc says get to the ER if I can't drink anything to avoid dehydration and kidney failure. By the time I get seen they give me heck for waiting to long...I've been here for 12 freaking hours. :voodoo:

Hi Lauren, I'm sorry to hear you're in so much pain right now! I think the hospital are doing the right thing sending you to a GI you have some very common symtoms of Crohns disease . I hope you don't have to wait to long till your GI appointment as it is unlikely that they will diagnose you without further tests.

But once you have the diagnosis it is the first step to what will hopefully be a healthier future. Depending on what the tests find you can be put on medication to get you into remission which may also help to greatly ease your pain. In the mean time try a light diet and warm baths and paracetamol.

Have you taken a look at our undiagnosed club? You may find additional support there from people having similar experiences.

I totally agree with pointy ears! It sure sounds like crohn's to me too. Get a colonoscopy and if that doesn't show anything maybe a pillcam or catscan.
Sounds horrible and I wish you well and blessings! keep us posted!:)

Thank you again for the responses! I am very hopeful that I will have answers soon. It's very frustrating not knowing. I will update after my GI appt.

Wow that sounds very similar to issues I am having. But I also had a kidney stone and then an ovarian cyst which were removed. Post surgery I have been having that awful pain you are talking about. I'm currently working with GI to see about a repeat colonoscopy (I have crohns/indeterminate IBD at this stage) and doing pain management / checking b12 levels with my PCP since I seem to also be having numbness and "worm feelings' in my hand and legs (my mother has RLS and I've always thought I had it.. but I need to get other issues ruled out).

Good luck to you!!!

Edit:
also does your family have a history of endometriosis? Might be a good thing to get ruled out. I found out during my surgery that I have moderate endo. Makes it harder to figure out my pain, but if you have it, treatment can be really helpful.

Update: saw the GI, he think it could be Crohns or endometriosis. I go for my colonoscopy on Thursday. If negative, will have a laparoscopy w/ my gyn to check for endometriosis. They also did a blood test for gluten sensitivity... So we shall see.

i had pains like this for a year... horrible horrible stuff.... its absolute agony... i was diagnosed with crohns and have had my terminal ileum removed which causes slight deficiency in b12 for me, but i was given some tablets for this... after a week or 2 i didnt need them anymore. just my personal experience..if it helps :/

Hi
When I was recently in hosp I had two CT scans, apart from the Crohns it picked up a thrombosis in my left ovarian vein, no treatment needed, but at the height of my flare up I was getting really bad pain on that side. Apparently these ovarian thrombosis are common with Crohns and childbirth and since my son is 10, they went with the crohns symptom!!!
Only thing is to leave no stone unturned until they find out what it is, good luck.
T x