• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Severe sinus issues

When I first stared remicade I got 3 sinus infections with like 5 days of relief between antibiotics, after the third round I had a week or so of relief and then I started having issues again. My nose is dry and stuffed and cracks and bleeds. There was an issue with my remicade and I ended up needing to switch infusion centers and while I was waiting to switch and already a week late the pressure got so bad I ruptured both of my ear drums and ended up on antibiotics so I got my infusion almost a month late, but there was over a week I wasn't on antibiotics and my nose was fine. Now a week after my infusion my nose is stuffed and dry and awful.

Has anyone dealt with this before? Is there something that can help? If the trade off is my crohns symptoms are better for my nose being awful it's still worth it, but I do enjoy the ability to breathe through my nose.

Hello Ships,

I have exactly the same side effect as you but I haven't found the solution yet. One of my gastro told me to use antibiotics cream inside my nose but it didn't work and I simply couldn't breathe. During winter, I use a lot of corticosteroids spray in my nose but it doesn't change anything.
Overall I haven't find a cure yet but I'm going to try nasal spray with essential oils.
If you find anything don't hesitate to tell me because I'm suffering from the exact same side effect as you and I could easily do without it :ysmile:

I used a nasal saline spray often, and Vaseline I’m my nose helped a lot, but it didn’t totally clear up until I was late on my infusion by a couple weeks, and I haven’t had an issue with it since. I just don’t think it was clearing up so it would come back with every infusion if that makes since.

For relief from the symptoms what worked best for me was using arm and hammor nasal saline as often as I needed too. Once the saline dried I would put Vaseline on a q-tip and generously put it in there. I only used the antibiotic ointment first thing in the morning because it would always dry up crusty and make it hurt.

Oy veh! I am about to start remicade and already have Obstructive Sleep Apnea! If I can't breath this is going to get interesting as I do sleep with a cpap. I guess I am about to find out how it effects me.

It wasn’t the remicade, the problem started up again in December, and that’s when I had my last infusion, but it’s still going on, so it’s a me problem not a med problem lol.

It wasn’t the remicade, the problem started up again in December, and that’s when I had my last infusion, but it’s still going on, so it’s a me problem not a med problem lol.
I understand .. I have similar problems. Prior to CD diagnosis, I am used to have sinus infection twice a year .. when South Texas goes from Summer to Winter and then when it goes back. We only have the two season down here! LOL

Yeah, I’m in Northern Nevada (not Vegas), and I think between it being such a dry climate and the weather changing every other day, it is rough. It’s dry and crusty and bloody painful and I feel like a snot factory! It’s kicking my ass!