• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Short Term Disablity

K

Kossy

Hey everyone. Does anyone know of any insurance company in the United States will cover someone with Crohn's Disease for SHORT term disability? I've check Aflac, and a bunch more and all of them exclude us due to Crohn's.

I use to work for a large company that insured themselves since I was a salaried employee. Last year we became hourly and a lot of our benifits were dropped including short term disabilty.

So does anyone know of any Short Term Insurance for Crohn's paitents?

Hi Kossy,

I live in Australia and have the same issues as you. I'm assuming you are talking about 'income protection insurance' for when you temporarily cannot work. In Australia we have what's called 'sickness benefits' which is paid by the government when you have a job to go back to and your employer gives the social security (centrelink) office a letter stating that.

Failing that, if you pay a high enough premium you can get cover here but it is at an exorbitant price. I'd suggest that you put your very high premiums into an online investment account and let the money earn interest for your rainy day situation.

It's almost impossible for any chronically ill person to get insurance cover.

Lisa

N

ncgirl

I've tried checking it out too. It's the preexisting condition clause that always gets us.

K

Kossy

Thanks you two. It's stupid the people that need the insurance can't get it. But the people that are healthy as a horse can get it. It just seems to make no sense. Well I it's because the insurance compaines will lose money on us. That's just said that it just comes down to a "numbers" game.

N

ncgirl

Yep, basically the same thing with life insurance...people with chronic or fatal conditions are charged a higher rate because the insurance companies feel that these people may pass away before they pay several monthly premiums.

Kossy said:
It's just not fair!
Nope, it's not, but life wasn't meant to be easy...lol. If it was there wouldn't be shitty crohns.

There are some companies that advertise 'no medicals' here in australia so maybe there might be similar where you are? I think they are mainly banks, credit card co's, super funds.

We are all stuck between a rock and a hard place when it comes to insurance. I've lost count of the number of insurance salespeople who look at me like I've got two heads when I tell them you can't insure me. They go 'oh no, we can insure you, no trouble,' yeah, sure, go back and check how much...'oh, yeah, now we understand.'

You can get insurance, but the arm and leg you have to cut off to pay the premiums you might as well leave on and put in the bank or something else.