• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Should I be alarmed by my pain?

For the past week or so, I've slowly been experiencing a little bit of pain on my right side (in the area I call my "Crohn's spot"). Well, beginning yesterday, the pain started coming more often and more intense. It isn't severe, take my breath away pain, just slowly getting worse now. Around the same time, I started having more diarrhea and it was more watery.

I haven't have a BM since yesterday around noon. I've been able to pass gas but no BM. I've also had pain more often, but still not severe.

I don't want to go back on steroids, but if I call my doctor, I know he'll put me on them.

Can anyone give me experience with something like this where it turned out to be nothing? If it doesn't stop by tomorrow, I'll call my GI, but I really don't want to go back on steroids.

I'm sorry you're experiencing this, Linda. I also am having much worse pain in my right side today, started with mild cramping but is just getting worse and worse. No BM problems though. If it keeps getting worse, I think you should call. Don't wait so long it becomes an emergency, okay?

Hello,

I've had a few times like that over the last few weeks, it sort of built up to the point where I told my husband if it didn't ease he was taking me to hospital, thankfully it did though, one of the times corresponded with that lovely monthly time but the others didn't. I found that once I had a good BM the pain started to subside. A friend thought it sounded like a partial blockage but I don't really know? I would definitely say if in doubt get it checked out. Hope you are both feeling better soon. :ghug::ghug:

Jim (POPS)

Jim (Pops)
Hi Linda,
Sorry you are going through this again. I would call your GI if it doesn't stop in a day or so. The longer it goes on the longer you will need to take Pred. (or what ever kind of strods. you take)

It's been almost two years since I was DX with crohns and I'm just now getting to know how all this works.

But most of all, keep your head up, you will get better soon.

Jim (POPS)

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
What does your diet look like? Are you eating high-fiber foods? Sometimes they throw my guts out of whack and do exactly what you described. Once I cut back and switch to low residue for a little bit it seems to ease up. My body is healing, but it just isn't ready for so much fiber yet. I need to slowly introduce such foods.

However I know I spoke to you in another sub-forum yesterday and you said your meds are giving you trouble and you already tried a lot of treatment plans. I would call your doc regardless. Better to be safe than sorry. :(

I really hope you get some relief soon :hug:

For the past week or so, I've slowly been experiencing a little bit of pain on my right side (in the area I call my "Crohn's spot"). Well, beginning yesterday, the pain started coming more often and more intense. It isn't severe, take my breath away pain, just slowly getting worse now. Around the same time, I started having more diarrhea and it was more watery.

I haven't have a BM since yesterday around noon. I've been able to pass gas but no BM. I've also had pain more often, but still not severe.

I don't want to go back on steroids, but if I call my doctor, I know he'll put me on them.

Can anyone give me experience with something like this where it turned out to be nothing? If it doesn't stop by tomorrow, I'll call my GI, but I really don't want to go back on steroids.

Thanks everyone. I was finally able to have a blow out BM. Since then I've had a lot more diarrhea, and while I still have periodic pain, it is easing up and not as bad as it was this morning. I'm not sure what happened.

And CrohnsChicago, I eat a very low residue diet. Last time I ate a lot of fiber I ended up with an obstruction, which is the type of learning experience I won't repeat again!

Oh my I have literally just posted a thread about this myself.
So strange, mine's been going on for 2 days now.
Hope you start to feel okay, sorry I can't really give you any advice because I'm in the same position myself.
Feel better :)

Just had a partial obstruction last week and ended in the ER afterward just to make sure I was OK. It was a whole lot like what you are describing except spending HOURS in the bathroom after it finally broke through. But the pain got better and better as I went. (so to speak) ha-ha.

Didn't you say you had an obstruction in the past? hmmmmmm. Just some thoughts.

It sounds like when I had diverticulitis. I had pain and couldn't move my bowels. Colon was swollen from infection. I was on antibiotics to clear infection and when I finally went five days in, they let me go home from hospital and eat real food! Sorry, that's all I have! I had pain on lower left side though.

I am not sure it means a partial obstruction, but it does suggest that there is narrowing of some sort if you are on low residue. You definitely don't want it to become a long term narrowing, so get it checked out quickly. It might mean 'roids, but if it works on it, it will be worth it. I share your strong dislike for them - I don't get any real benefit from them myself anymore. Hope this settles down for you