• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Should I get a second opinion?

Hi,

My concern with my current doctor is based on his approach to the pain I am experiencing.

He is a well respected GI who has a special interest in inflammatory illnesses so on a purely clinical basis I should be fine.

The problem is that with my current flare I have persistent pain above my belly button that requires pain killers to deal with. When he examines me he feels where I presume the colon would be and the pain is moderate.

He told me recently that his concern is not the pain but with the core symptoms of Crohns. I on the other hand would take running to the toilet over the pain!

I just feel like he may not be taking, what to me is the major problem, seriously enough.

Currently on 60mg prednisone and will be starting Imuran soon. I could just be in a steroid induced fit of irritation but would be glad to hear if any of you have gone through something similar.

Am I just being overly dramatic?

With all the law changes on drugs, I know many doctors are afraid to prescribe pain meds. My GI sent me to a pain management doctor almost a year ago. Have you considered seeing one? There are so many options for us to help with the pain.

Good luck!

An interesting point, thanks for that. I guess as with all of these things, it pays to ask the doctor.

Best of luck with your journey too!

David

Co-Founder
Welcome to the community. On one hand, I understand your doctor's reasoning. If he gets the inflammation under control, in theory, the pain should go away. However, if you're in that much pain, I just wonder if it might be in everyone's interest to have some imaging studies done to see if anything additional is going on. If not, it at least puts your mind at ease.