• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Should I get my Perianal Abscess drained?

After a trip to the ER and a few nights at the hospital, they told me I had an anal abscess but that it was too small to surgically remove. This is my first abscess.

After reading about other's experiences, Ive become worried about what i should do next. The doctor sent me home with Doxycycline and Cefpodoxime for antibiotics, and said to call if its not shrunk in the next few days.
My main question is,
Is it possible for these to go away on their own, if of small enough size? Should I see a different doctor? The pain is severe, I've had to take off work and constantly ice/sitz bath to feel somewhat decent. Im exhausted and just want it gone.
Also, I apologize if this isn't the right place to post this question.

It's possible it can resolve or may drain on it's own, but I agree if it gets worse to seek medical attention

Bufford

If it is giving you pain and if it does not subside then the abscess is probably getting worse. Don't hesitate to call your doctor if it does not start to improve.

Lynda Lynda

I know this is an old post, but my first rectal abscess was in 2002 and it grew very fast within the 6 days from the moment I felt it to the time I had surgery on it. The pain was so terrible. It was a big abscess and had a long pocket of puss. Had surgery on it and spent two weeks at home and a nurse coming by once a day to my apartment to change my dressing, change the packing gauze, etc. ( I was still working a job and had great Health Insurance coverage! )

With my second abscess I was smarter, pretty quickly after feeling the discomfort of something going on "down there" I drove to the ER, got admitted to the hospital, and had it operated on. It was small and only required me to have one follow-up visit with the surgeon. No terrible pain this time.

But I DO believe I may have had a time when I may have had another rectal abscess starting to form and saw my Primary Care Doctor at the time and was given antibiotics and no soreness or abscess occurred after that.

I think I may have something going on "down there" right now. Having my colonoscopy / endoscopy tomorrow so I would like my Gastroenterologist to take a look......as long as he's gonna be "down there" anyhow !

Take Care and have a good week everyone. Lynda.

I had one, they refered me to the ER when I could not walk/sit anymore and had high night fevers with sweating. I used so much ibuprofen to get through the pain. You should go to (another) GP if it gets severe enough for you and get refered to an ER if (s)he doesn't help you find another one. I had a small one afterwards but it bursted and didn't became big/very painful.

cmack

Staff member
Ibuprofen and most other NSAIDs can cause serious issues,(bleeding, hemmies...etc.) with Crohn's, Colitis or other IBD conditions. I hope things are getting better for you, Erbu.

Last edited:
Ibuprofen and most other NSAIDs can cause serious issues,(bleeding, hemmies...etc.) with Crohn's, Colitis or other IBD conditions. I hope things are getting better for you, Erbu.
Thank you a lot, I hope the same for you. I know but I was in so much pain it was unbearable.