• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Should I go on Remicade, or just stop being lackadaisical about my regimen?

Lialda works for me. It works well. If I stay on it, I tend to have a flare MAYBE every 2-3 years, which can be controlled with prednisone.

Lately, that's not what's been happening. I've been dealing with a suicidal teen daughter, a developmentally delayed 2 year old, passive aggressive coworkers... most of you know the deal. :) As a consequence, I miss my pills often. Way too often. Multiple times per week. My memory is not good. Pill planners don't help because even if they're in plain sight, I procrastinate until I forget. I end up controlling the "mini flares" that result with prednisone I have on hand, which is a terrible idea for many reasons.

SO, given that, am I a good candidate for Remicade, really? My doc is willing to put me on it, but the truth is, if I'm compliant, my disease just isn't that bad. Sure, I have an active fistula. Sure, sometimes it's REALLY painful.

But I'm not on pain meds (just hyoscyamine sometimes), I have no strictures, no surgeries. I'm not missing work. No nausea or vomiting. Diarhhea is mild these days as long as I don't miss my pills for a whole week (which has happened.)

So, Remicade, or stop being "spoiled" about my regimen? The potential to close my fistula appeals a great deal. So does the fact that Remicade has no copay, while Lialda has a high copay.

Do it. I read your blog earlier this week. You have enough junk going on without remembering to take a bajillion pills a day, and paying a ridiculous co-pay. Get the Remicade, pocket the co-pay (you need it!!), and tend the the kids. Congrats on the toddler talking!! Extremely delayed speech can also be a sign of very high intelligence. They aren't talking because they're too busy listening, and processing.
My Dad didn't talk til he was 3.5, and suddenly burst forth in full sentences. He is genius-gifted. An engineer. Same with my best friend. His first words were "You don't need to change my diaper anymore. I can use the bathroom like a big boy" at three-something years old. He's also just-below genius IQ.

Remicade has much more serious risks than Lialda. If Lialda works for you, I'd suck it up and figure out a way to stay on it. Getting an infusion every couple months is easier than taking pills every day, but I'd save the heavy-hitter drugs for when/if the mild ones stop working. Set a reminder on your phone. That's what I used to do for my Cimzia, since it was every 2 weeks. I've been taking daily pills since I was 16 (birth control) so it's ingrained for me.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
I somewhat agree with Stephanie - except with the fistula issue - that would lean me toward Remicade.....having had them, and knowing how painful they can be - AND the fact that MORE can develop.....I'd be wanting to get rid of that and not worry about infections 'down there'....