• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Should I go to the hospital?

I'm wondering if I should go to the hospital tomorrow.
Here is my problem: About two weeks ago I started having a flare-up and it's only been getting progressively worse. I'm in college and I guess I just kind of put it out of my mind and thought "Well, I'll be out in a couple of weeks for break." I thought I would be able to go to the campus clinic Friday (I don't have insurance anymore) but they were closed. So, I made an appointment for Monday. The thing is I have a speech due Tuesday and a paper due Thursday. Also, my finals are the week after next. A part of me wants to go to the hospital because maybe they can speed things along and I can get my school work done. I've been sleeping all day today and I have pretty much no energy. Even writing this is a pain. Today was the first time I didn't eat. I usually don't go to the hospital until I start vomiting (I know, that sounds bad) but I've only just been nauseous and nothing else has happened. I'm afraid if I go to the hospital, they won't discharge me in time, and I will fail my classes....Sorry for the long post. Thanks for any help.

Your probably best to go to the hospital and explain to them your dilemma your health has to come first. The stress of everything has maybe been the cause of your flare but I'm the worlds worst for not going to the hospital on time and have learnt the hard way!! Goodluck with all your work

Lynneth, a freind of mine was in a simular situation to you, he waited to long, the results were that his intestines were so badly damaged he had to have much of his intestines removed and currently has 4 bags attached to him for stool, urine, wind etc.

Archie is right, always better to be safe than sorry, health does come first.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Health always comes first. Professors DO understand and will let you turn things in late or take tests late (make ups etc.). Don't jeopardize your own health over things that CAN be put off. Just be sure to get a note from the ER doc. I see that this is a day late though. Did you wind up going today or are you feeling better? Update?

Well, I did end up going to the hospital and they put me on some fluids and prescribed me asocol and prednisone. (Only the best!) I'm doing better and I'm trying to maintain a very light diet. Stress over school has decreased a lot. My professors are VERY understanding and im beyond thankful for that. Thank you to everyone who replied. It really pushed my decision to go.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Glad that you're feeling a little better and thank you for letting us know how you're doing. :)