• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Should I have a colonoscopy?

Hi all
I've been reading posts on here for a couple of weeks after my GP started testing for suspected IBD.
I've had bowel issues for as long as I can remember (diarrhoea and abdominal pain). I always put it down to IBS and didn't investigate further. After I had my eldest daughter I started getting horrendous abdominal pain which, after a year and an emergency admission to hospital with pancreatitis, turned out to be gall bladder disease. I had my gall bladder out 5 years ago and my problems have not stopped since! Basically my 'IBS' got a million times worse, I have diarrhoea ALL the time (at least 5 days out of 7 as an average), I have horrible and completely disabling abdominal pain from my sternum all the way down to my groin and I am completely exhausted. I finally went to the GP a couple of weeks ago because I'd had continuous diarrhoea every day for weeks. She suspected IBD from the symptoms and because my grandad had Crohns.
I had blood tests and a fecal calprotein test a week later and got the results today. Bloods were all normal and fecal calprotein was 90. The gp basically seemed to think that showed I had no real problems but said she would refer me for a colonoscopy because it was slightly raised and I have family history.
From all I've read this is unlikely to be Crohns right? In which case I'm inclined to believe it's just IBS which means there's nothing I can do about it. Would you bother with a colonoscopy?

Welcome to the forum. So sorry for all you are going through.

I'd still keep pushing to discover what you are dealing with. Maybe it isn't CD but it may still be something that can be treated in order to give you a better quality of life.

Since your issues got worse after removal of your gall bladder did the doctor mention bile salt malabsorption? This would be something I would investigate with the GI.

Hope you find answers soon

From very recent personal experience, before you do it a first colonoscopy is terrifying. I was mortified when told I had to have one! and felt scared and alone all the way to the operating theatre. But with the sedation, I "woke up"and the nurse said it was done. It literally felt like I was still waiting for it to happen when she said it was all done. And now I guess Im glad I know. At least the symptoms can be treated and better the devil you know than the devil you don't....

Scipio

From all I've read this is unlikely to be Crohns right? In which case I'm inclined to believe it's just IBS which means there's nothing I can do about it. Would you bother with a colonoscopy?
By all means get the colonoscopy. It's the main tool for making a definitive diagnosis. Colonoscopies are no fun, but you will get through it okay.

But even if it does turn out to be IBS, it's not true that nothing can be done about it. IBS is not a single disease. It's a collection of diseases and conditions that may not be related. Some of the forms of IBS can be treated. For example IBS due to serotonin dysregulation can be treated with the drug Lotronex. IBS due to bile acid malabsorption can be treated with the drug Questran. Many of the less well-defined forms of IBS can be treated with the antibiotic rifaximin. Talk to your GI.

I would definitely suggest getting the colonoscopy. If you do have IBD then they could be damage or scarring inside that you are not aware of and could cause more problems in the future. I know a colonoscopy can be a scary idea but remember that the doctors do lots of them every day and they are great at dealing with nervous patients plus you can request sedative and painkillers so if you are lucky you will barely remember the procedure.

I would definitely suggest getting the colonoscopy. If you do have IBD then they could be damage or scarring inside that you are not aware of and could cause more problems in the future. I know a colonoscopy can be a scary idea but remember that the doctors do lots of them every day and they are great at dealing with nervous patients plus you can request sedative and painkillers so if you are lucky you will barely remember the procedure.
Agree