• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Should I try to taper faster?

I started out on 40mg of prednisone in early december and became symptomatic when I tried to taper. I began imuran in early january, and after having back pain from prednisone my doctor recommended I taper from 40mg to 20mg which caused a flare of symptoms so I went up to 30mg. I tapered down by 5mg a week until I got to 10mg and became symptomatic again. At that point one of the GI doctors recommended that I taper down by 1mg a week. I also began taking humira in mid feb. Recently I've developed a moon face and acne and want to get off of prednisone as soon as possible. Is two months of imuran and 2 injections of humira enough to try and taper down from 14mg to 10mg? I can't deal with the pred side effects anymore.

I wouldn't go that fast I would say dropping by 2 might be okay but 4 is not an ideal jump. I know the side effects suck but it's only a few weeks extra.

Good luck!