• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Should you tell your kids you have Crohn's Disease

S

scottishgirl

those with kiddies and crohns, how are your children with it all, do they know? was the crohns there before the kids therefore just a part of life for them or was it something you went through together?

discuss..
(feel like a teacher lol)

D

devildee(donna2005)LOL

Hi Steph
my kids are great with it, when i had my surprise rush op just over 3 years ago my youngest was 1 1/2 and my eldest was nearly 10 when id came home from hospital i explained as much as i could and asked both if they wanted to see my stoma they both did and i talk about it freely and they both know they can ask me anything about it my eldest reads my nacc news letters.
they are nearly 5 and 13 now, i am a single parent and they are so supportive.
i personaly feel that kids should know but every situation is differant , if they are young they just grow up thinking its normal they dont discuss it else where my youngest thinks its so normal she asked when shes getting her stoma bless

have you told Ellie?

((((((hugs))))))))))))))

B

btcrv

Wow Donna. How great that you are able to take care of yourself and your family. You really deserve a pat on the back!!

S

scottishgirl

yes Donna, well i got sick before ellie came alone so its not something i had to sit her down and explain about, she is a bit young to go into details but she knows mumy gets a sore tummy after eating and the wee mite brings my bag over so i can take my pills!

R

rebelsgirl

I have two older children that were there when I was diagnosed after surgery. It never seemed to bother either of them too much but the crohn's also never effected their lives much after the surgery.

My youngest was born 2 years after being diagnosed and it has effected his life to the point where I was almost falling over in a pain during one his first b-day parties. Now he's very protective of me and how I'm feeling. I had to explain to my youngets a while back (his 15) that I didn't have cancer. That's what he thought I had!

But to answer your quesions, yes they all know.. I kinda got off track there, sorry!

S

Sparrow

My two guys seemed very curious about it when we all found out i had it, they both seemed worried but now use to the idea of it since 2001, my 7 year old went through some anxiety when i had two visits and long stays in the hospital last year so we assumed his anxiety was from that because the visits were not planned but came on sudden and all kids young like that worry from time to time about losing parents. He's much better now and fine with things, after asking alot of questions, like how i got it, will he get it etc..I do find it hard to mask the pain when around them, so they don't have to worry for me when I feel bad, so normally do breathing exercises quietly till pain subsides and just keep on trucking and doin my thing with them. As just to asure you, they do get better with it as years go on and even become very accepting of it and supportive since my oldest really had wanted to do the CCFC walk and get pledges for a cure:thumright: