• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

sibo, small intestinal bacterial overgrowth

sibo is another contributor to many of our autoimmune and leaky gut issues. antibiotics are the medical solution. there is another option - a kinder, gentler antibiotic that's suitable for every day use. the technology behind it is amazing.

diving into crohns with you guys is convincing me that sibo is a big player in crohns. if it were me, i would take a hard look at this stuff. there's a version on amazon called i26. it has a good batch of reviews to go through.

not my bold below

All About Hyperimmune Egg Powder

You might have heard about IgY Max’s ability to rebalance the gut microbiome by ridding the intestines of dysbiotic pathogens.

But how exactly does it do that? And how is it made? Let’s take a look.

Quick recap: What is IgY Max?

IgY Max® is a hyperimmune egg antibody supplement that targets 26 dysbiotic pathogens inhabiting the gastrointestinal tract.

Hold on – English, please?

If you have digestive issues, you likely have dysbiotic pathogens – aka harmful microbes – living in your gut microbiome. For a healthy gut, it’s crucial to remove these unfriendly bugs from the body (read our blog about dysbiosis to learn more about the microbiome).

IgY Max contains antibodies that attack 26 dysbiosis-causing microbes commonly found in imbalanced guts. The antibodies kill these microbes and remove them from the intestinal tract.

Removing the “bad guys” allows beneficial bacteria to prosper, rebalancing the microbiome and saving the day.

more at link...

webmd reviews are a great resource - for drugs or supplements. here's the link to hyper immune egg webmd reviews. also had to copy and paste one that mentions crohns

I've used hyperimmune egg, I26, since 2001 for Crohn's disease. I take 2 servings a day. I've been in 'remission' beginning in the 3rd month after starting on it. My doctor was able to reverse my colostomy 5 months after starting using i26. I have almost no abdominal pain anymore, or diahrrea, and sleep through the night. I was at 112 lbs when starting on it, and I'm 5'10". Have been at 165-170 since 2003.

a common cause of sibo is low stomach acid. one function of the ultra low ph of the stomach is to kill pathogens, the most famous being h. pylori (the cause of ulcers).

low acid lets some bad guys slip by. they set up shop in the small intestine and start doing damage. this can/does lead to leaky gut - bad guys mess up the gut liner and the processes that maintain and repair it. a cause of crohns not unlikely...

how to top off your stomach acid -- a little bit of apple cider vinegar with meals or betaine hcl. i read that cayenne pepper supplement can help the stomach processes too - but not sure about trying it with crohns. we add a tablespoon or two of acv to our bone broth.

one big problem is carbonated beverages - eliminate them - or drink them away from meals on empty stomach. brother in law was a dr pepper-aholic. he paid the price -- hospitalized with ulcers (cause = h. pylori). he has since stopped drinking dr with meals. so far so good

people often mistakenly blame high stomach acid for heartburn/gerd. then they make things worse by taking things that reduce acid. they are setting themselves up for sibo/leaky gut/crohns/autoimmunes by doing that

takeaway = be sure to keep your stomach acid optimized

treatments for sibo. massive paper just published, grabbed a small section. our old friend bacillus coagulans gets a mention

Prebiotics and Probiotics for Gastrointestinal Disorders

5.4.1. Prebiotics for SIBO
Only one RCT examined the role of prebiotic supplementation for SIBO. Rosania et al. showed that treatment with rifaximin for seven days followed by FOSs for seven days led to a significant improvement in four out of six symptoms evaluated (diffuse abdominal pain, left iliac pain, meteorism, and flatulence) in patients with SIBO [110].
5.4.2. Probiotics for SIBO
A 2017 systematic review and meta-analysis found that probiotics led to higher rates of SIBO decontamination compared to placebo and metronidazole; probiotics plus antibiotics were more effective than probiotics alone. Additionally, there was a significant decrease in H2 levels detected on hydrogen breath testing after taking probiotics and an improvement in abdominal pain scores, but there was no significant impact on daily stool frequency. Probiotics were not found to have a significant effect on SIBO incidence in the pooled analysis [111].

Among patients with SIBO in the setting of systemic sclerosis, one RCT showed that treatment with Saccharomyces boulardii with or without metronidazole led to a significant improvement in pain and bloating compared to metronidazole alone, with no serious adverse effects [112]. Notably, one RCT demonstrated that supplementation with the Bifidobacterium triple-viable capsule (contains B. longum, L. acidophilus, and Enterococcus faecalis) significantly improved symptoms and rates of SIBO resolution compared to placebo in patients with SIBO and GI malignancies [113,114].

An RCT by Rosania et al. showed that rifaximin followed by Lacticaseibacillus casei improved symptoms of diffuse abdominal pain, left iliac pain, meteorism, flatulence, and nausea in patients with SIBO. Rifaximin followed by Lacticaseibacillus casei was found to be more effective in improving symptoms than rifaximin followed by FOSs, though this difference was not statistically significant [110].

Available evidence suggests that probiotics, especially L. casei, can improve symptoms associated with SIBO and may exhibit a synergistic effect when used with antibiotics for SIBO treatment.
5.4.3. Synbiotics for SIBO
A small RCT demonstrated that the addition of a synbiotic containing Bacillus coagulans and FOSs to maintenance antibiotic therapy led to a significant improvement in abdominal pain and gastrointestinal symptoms, such as flatulence, belching, and diarrhea, compared to antibiotics alone. A greater proportion of patients in the probiotic group had a negative hydrogen breath six months after treatment, though this difference was not statistically significant [115].

recent paper on sibo

low stomach acid and sibo. then sibo to leaky gut. then autoimmune disease. all started with low stomach acid - or more likely, eating/drinking things that neutralize the stomach acid

Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) is the presence of excess colonic bacteria in the small intestine. These excess organisms result in multiple intestinal symptoms like abdominal pain, bloating, diarrhea, and rarely malabsorption. . The proximal small intestine typically contains relatively few bacteria due to the presence of stomach acid and the effects of peristalsis.

When the protective mechanisms (peristalsis, stomach acid) against excessive bacterial growth fail, small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) can manifest.

heard a recommendation for sibo from an expert i highly respect. it's a seaweed extract call fucoidan. available as a supplement -

fucoidan also tripped my wire a few months ago - i was helping a lady with her cancer and found that it has anti-cancer studies/papers on pubmed. some with promising conclusions. i sent her the links and she's been on it for a couple of months with no side effects.

interesting - they took bugs from ibd/crohns guts and put them in mice

Our study provides the first evidence that the transfer of a dysbiotic community from CD patients can lead to spontaneous inflammatory changes in the colon of xGF mice and identifies a signature microbial community capable of promoting colonization of pathogenic and conditionally pathogenic bacteria.

sibo in some, but not all. my take -- those that think they dont have sibo can lessen their focus on sibo and double down on leaky gut and dysbiosis of the large intestine. this change could save time and money. these protocols can be done alongside the pharma pills, i did it with prednisone. talk with your doctor about your plan if he/she is giving you pills. the one thing doctors really know is how their drugs behave

2023 Feb

Impact of Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth in Patients with Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Other Gastrointestinal Disorders—A Retrospective Analysis in a Tertiary Single Center and Review of the Literature

5. Conclusions
In our study, we could clearly show that SIBO plays a role in IBD patients and other gastrointestinal disorders. Its prevalence in patients with IBD in remission might still be underestimated. Especially in patients with CD, SIBO is increasingly found in older age. Clinically, SIBO should be routinely considered in order to optimize the treatment of IBD patients.

Written By:
Dr. Claire Lockridge ND, has a degree in Naturopathic Medicine from the Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine and a Bachelor of Science undergraduate degree with a minor in Nutrition from the University of Arizona. She integrates her extensive knowledge of nutrition and psychology to provide optimal care to her patient base.

Last edited by a moderator: