• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Sick and tired of being sick and tired!

:rosette2: Please bear with me... I know I'm bouncing all over, its LATE I'm sleepy, and if I don't post it as is, I probably never will... But, I need to rant/vent!!!! When I was like about 16 -17yrs. old, I was diagnosed with colitis, and or IBS. About 13 yrs ago, I got food poisoning, and the symptoms continued for 6 mos. before finally going to a Dr. and was diagnosed as having Crohns. This was from a Dr. in Tx. he showed me the pics.... ewww! 3 yrs later, moved back to Calif. and my Dr says it's UC, and no way could it have been crohn's.... My father, (I hardly knew him) died at age 52 from colon cancer. I will be 57 in a few wks. I know nothing more about his illnesses leading up to the cancer. My Mother told me when he was in the service, that he got paid for doing drug research (trial/experimental) 13 yrs dealing with this and Diabetes.... I am SO sick and tired of being sick and tired, and so tired of filling my pill containers! I take like 12 pills in the A.M and about 7 or so in the P.M. PLUS... in between I have to take insulin b/4 every meal, plus another kind each morn and bedtime, Plus I have to drink cholestyramine powder 3x a day. (past yr. my diabetes is uncontrolled mostly due to steroids and infections which raises my sugars.) Foods ok for diabetes, is big no-no for crohn's and visa versa! I get so depressed and tired of the constant battle. These past 6 mos, I find I sleep for DAYS at a time, and sometimes not even caring if i'm taking my meds. (If the pill container is all set up, I'll usually take them and go back to sleep) How is it a person can actually SLEEP for 3 days at a time, get up for a day or 2, and then back to sleep. Not just lay in bed, but actually sleep!
This is the worse flare I've ever had. So much pain and discomfort, So much acids in my diarrhea that it leaves welts and bad rash and the pain is EXCRUCIATING beyond belief! They said its inevitable, that if not now, than soon, they'll have to remove my colon because of how long i've had this and b/4 cancer shows up! SOMETIMES I feel like I'd rather die now and be done with it than to live life with a colostomy bag! I had a pretty good life! Other times, I'm happy and content....

DJW

Forum Monitor
You've got a lot going on; my heart goes out to you.

I don't have much advice. It's so tough when you're feeling rotten everyday.

I've had my ostomy for years. It literally gave me my life. It hasn't kept me from doing anything I wanted.

Hope you feel better soon. Sending you my support.

valleysangel92

Staff member
Oh hun. I can't imagine what you are going through.

Please don't give up. A stoma can be difficult to get your head around but it doesn't need to be the end. There are a lot of members here who have stomas and find that they have literally given them life.

It takes a lot of getting used to, but it can be a change for good. I don't have a stoma myself but I know a lot of people who do and they were scared and some were adamant they didn't want them, but when it happened and they had time to get over the shock they actually found it wasn't as bad as they had feared. In many cases a stoma can be the start of a new life and can greatly improve the quality of the time you have. In a lot of cases they extend life and allow people to do things they haven't been able to manage for a long time.

Please take a look around the forum and read people's stories. A stoma isn't the end, for many it's the beginning.