• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Side cramps?

side cramps?

it doesn't happen very often, but it happened again today..so i thought i'd ask about it!

does anyone get side cramps? it happens to me when i'm lying down usually..just curious if this might have anything to do Crohn's, maybe meds. or if it's just a natural thing that happens to people without this disease....

you never know. well, i never know. haha.

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
I get side pains all the time. Higher up, too, like in the rib area. My GI said it isn't related, but I find that hard to believe. She suggested it could be gas, but I can tell the difference.
Are your pains a point specific intense pain? When I get these side "pains", it's usually in a general area and more of a nagging sensation than pain. But it is still very uncomfortable. And like you said, it happens when I am lying down and makes it hard to sleep.

yes, Jill, it's very uncomfortable and annoying..when i get them, it's in the rib area, near the back. not sure what it could be....

Besides for crohn's fun and not to scare you but...
Side cramps might be a sign of an ovarian cyst. I had one 4 years ago and it felt like a muscle cramp (eventually a muscle cramp that want kill me) It was low on my side

Yes, when Im flaring really bad, they become unbearable. When Im well.....I get them throughout the day and they vary in pain and intensity. Sometimes its like a knife right in my side and takes my breath away for a few minutes~

Yes, I get them too. I notice them at night...I figure when I am digesting food...but I think its due to my strictures too since I'm told my strictures are on my left side and that is where I feel the cramps. They are not constant and I am not in so much pain I need to take something...they don't last too long. Thank GOD. I would ask your doctor if it could be a stricture. I didn't have one at my 2009 colonoscopy but at my 2010 one they could not get through...had to have a second one done a few months later...so they happen fast I guess. I did just have a flare at the end of 2009 though too. Boy...after so long...now I am all messed up. I had no idea what I was in for.

Some times the pain is in letting go not holding on.. a metaphor for life.

I get them too. wWhat I have discovered about myself it is when I am under stress. Emotional physical or mental.. or whatever. If I am too busy or feeling a lot of people are pulling at me. I needed to withdrawl. I even cancelled my answering machien service for the first time in 25 years. I was getting messages from someone who wouldn't stop calling... even when I blocked their number.
Trying adding more relaxation into your day. Even a little at a time. Oprah ahd a good show tonight. Even a minute at a time is best. it can be called meditation but .. most of all it is quiet. The worst people to get quiet from are usually friends and family.

Try these things: colouring,
Yoga,
go near water
A CD with waves is awesome. or any kind of water. ( if you can't be near the real thing
any kind of relaxation CD. I have a couple I use.. keep trying them over and over and they eventually work.. no meds needed.
pray for a snowfall ( I did and we got one..even cars are quiet.
play with a cat or dog or child
read jokes, tell jokes or listen to jokes
listen to calming music ( I found a spanish guitar/indian Cd that is good)
dance
read a good book.. kids ones are best for relaxation ( especially poop and fart jokes) any kind of kids pictures books or mives.
rent Shrek.. the best for me !!
help someone worse off than you.. if there isn't anyone... help yourself.
use a cane for a few days.. take a laod off.
lean of a shopping cart. this seem to help me
go for a swim
have a hot shower ( sit down in the tub if you feel really tired.
go to a coffee shop and just read a paper and relax.
make a snow angel or a sand angel
walk a labrynth ( we have 3 in town)
get away from anger noisey situations.. even if it means losing your job or friend..
play crazy 8's
play solitaire online ( don't lsiten to guilt or fear in your head)
Ok...that's it for me

Jackie

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
yes, Jill, it's very uncomfortable and annoying..when i get them, it's in the rib area, near the back. not sure what it could be....
Yep, mine can wrap around to my back, too. My doctor is trying to order me an MRE to investigate the pains further. Unfortunately, the insurance company is being a pain. If and when I get the test done, I'll let you know the results.

I too get them sometimes, about 3 inches to the direct right of my bellybutton, extending down a bit. Sometimes they make my leg ache so I assume a nerve is involved. It's not an intense pain but more of a nagging ache that distracts me and makes it difficult to sleep if it's hurting my leg.

I showed my GI doc and he said that's exactly where my disease is (terminal ileum).

Yes, I believe it has to do with internal wind.

If I lay on my left hand side, I can fart it out.

Sounds terrible I know.

But it really reduces the pain.

Yes! That's actually how I got diagnosed. A few years before they even suspected Crohn's I thought I had pulled a muscle in my right side. My doctor didn't say anything about Crohn's however. And when I got diagnosed I went to the hospital with pain in my right side in the back, but they didn't suspect Crohn's until after my Cat Scan because they said it should have been in the front on the right. Weird....