• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Silicol gel

Has anyone heard of silicol gel and does anyone use it? Apparently it helps with IBS symptoms and can also be used by Crohn's/ UC sufferers.

Yes I have googled it, it's something my dear mother in law saw in a newspaper and was suggesting I try. It's a liquid to ingest, an over the counter thing. It's looks like it's got good reviews but it's hard to know to what extent that person was suffering. Just thought I'd ask on here. I think I will give it a miss for now.😊

fuzzy butterfly

Hi ye i know what you mean.. you dont have anything to gauge it on re their sufferings. It may be worth keeping in mind to try at a later date. If you can get more info n stuff.
Hugs n best wishes 💕

I brought some several weeks ago because the reviews sound good, and it is approved for use in Crohn's. Just keeping it in hand in case I need it.

scottsma

I've just been reading about it in todays paper,so am having a google.
Reviews from IBS sufferers are good but I'm scared it may make things worse for me.
Still,I won't know until I try.Has anyone any updates on it please ?

scottsma

Have bought some today.Says to take one tablespoon 3 times daily before meals.
I don't usually have 3 meals a day,but took one dose before a light lunch.
I'd rather go easy at first.Tastes ok.Have had worse.I'll report back in a week.

Hello everyone,

I know this post is rather old, but I came across it and saw that it was unanswered. I am new to this group so haven't put in my details yet.
I am mid flare up which was starting to get severe, back on meds and steroid enemas, nappies etc... Which was tricky because I am a performer and had a big gig today that I really had no idea how the hell I was going to get on my feet and do it, but I had no replacement so I decided to employ ALOT of positive thinking and visit my local health food store AGAIN to see if there was anything new. This is where I came across Silica Gel. It sounded pretty good, so I bought a bottle. I needed more stable bowels and quick. Before I started taking this I was pretty much incontinent and getting in a fix quite regularly so had stopped going out. I was cramping and getting the usually unstoppable urgency with lots of pain, these bouts as you know are totally exhausting and were happening everytime I went to the loo, basically everytime I put anything in my body. No matter what it seems to be. Maybe I should point out that I have been limiting my diet alot too. No veg or anything fibrous or potatoes because they seem to upset me, especially no oil. Usually I am gluten free, but when flared up white bread is better than crackers, rice cakes or gf products. Anyway, since the first dose of this product I have no had any cramps, bloating, nausea, diarrhea or any symptoms except exhaustion. I actually havent been to the loo atall though, but after my 4th dose I thought I better take an immodium just before getting on stage But in this time frame I would have normally been to the loo about 6 times, each time being very difficult. i never imagined Id be ok today but I have and it may not last, but it is completley out of pattern for me. So I think this might be a miracle product. Obviously I need to be on it a lot longer to know. But the idea is that it coats your stomach and bowel, which as mine is covered in ulcers is just what it needs. I am still going to keep my diet limited and also meds for now. Usually the meds make very little difference. For Chronic cases it says take the product for 4 weeks. So that is what I will do and I will report back. Sorry this is long!! I hope it will give others hope!!

Just a little re-calculation- For the message above. I normally would have been to the loo about 10 times between when I took my first dose and the immodium.

scottsma

I'm really glad that it seems to be working for you.I forgot to post when I tried it.I stopped after a few days as it was making me constipated.I suffer from urgency usually,but not nearly as bad as you and loperamide works for me in slowing everything down.I thought Silicol gel would be a better option.But I also have a dread of having a blockage.I have a really bad time getting things moving again.But I know how desperate and stressed D. makes you feel,so long may it last for you.I'm between a rock and a hard place,so to speak.

Thanks, for replying!!
Yes, I think maybe it makes me constipated too. However I wont be able to tell whilst the immodium is still in my system. I wonder whether this means all the disease is still very active then, its hard to tell if Im not being symptomatic in the normal way... hey ho, the journey continues. Good luck!

scottsma

Just came across this thread for the first time as I saw an advert for Silicolgel in the newspaper over the weekend. I'm wondering whether to try it.
Crohnies quote....what works for some does nothing for others.:(

You won't know until you try it....I have to say that I thought it was a wee bit expensive for the size of the bottle and the amount you must take daily .
Not dear if it works of course.Who of us hasn't spent a small fortune on stuff we hope will help us? I would try it at a lower dose and gradually increase if you find it's helping.

Hello Fellow Sufferers

Just to confirm, I bought Silicol Gel as a last resort stand-by if nothing else worked. I had my second hip-replacement last week, and after all the pain drugs, anaesthetic, strange food in hospital, different water, (I always drink bottled mineral water), plus, last but not least, stress, I guessed I would be in trouble. Had to go back in to hospital the night before last as the wound had flared up - extreme stress! So by yesterday morning I was presenting with a flare-up of EPIC proportions. (Just what you need when you can hardly sit down!) Took the first dose of Silicol Gel, and it STOPPED! Still had one attack this am, but mild, and easily coped with, shall continue to take the Gel.

Hi KenVH, it worked quite well for a couple of days, but then began to lose the fight! Well, I'm sure everyone here knows when CD is determined to 'flare', it usually doesn't let much stand in its way! 😆 As usual, what worked in the end was the usual, codeine phos, amyltriptiline, lots of rest and fluids. I think it would perhaps be useful for a very mild upset, or IBS rather than IBD. Also, there is another variety, Enterosgel, which I haven't tried.

scottsma

I think we're all guilty of grasping at straws,looking for a miracle.It didn't make a difference for me,but that's not to say it doesn't work at all.
Crohnie Mantra....we're all different,and we wont know until we try these things.

Ok my friends. Sound logical. Indeed, we all hope for a magical pill right.
Maybe ged 0301 will be that med. Dunno yet

I hear that gene therapy is showing promising results. As I've had two resections I'm sure at least some of my problems are due to the ops themselves. Just had a Nucleic Test, and after that a bowel flora test. Ever hopeful! 🙂