• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Skin Cancer from Methotrexate?

I've just had surgery for a Squamous Cell Carcinoma on the side of my nose. It's the 2nd SCC for me in several years and I've had Basel Cell Carcinoma twice too. Always just assumed it's my fair skin and blonde hair that puts me at risk. When I went in for the surgery 2 weeks ago, the surgeon looked at my list of meds, and said 'ah, Methotrexate, that's why you're here,'. Anyone else been getting skin cancer diagnosis after lengthy times on Methotrexate. I've been on and off it for the last 15 years or so. My GI tells me it's the lesser of 2 evils. Stop Meth and be at a higher risk for colon cancer..... I guess skin cancer is much easier to treat.

There is a risk of skin cancer with mtx. I know for my son the GI has repeatedly told him to make sure he wore sun screen when oit in the sun. He also sees the dermatologist yearly for a skin check.

I've seen other threads on the forum of members posting about BCC and mtx and their experience. You may browse through the treatment section or use the forum search function to see if you can come across those tjreads.

Hi, I am on 6MP and have had terrible skin problems, brown spots, warts, skin tags, spreading terribly. I've done so much research about and found that we are at a higher risk of skin cancer. I am seeing my Dr next week to try and switch to Humira. The dermatologist told me I am a remarkable case and she doesn't see these problems with patients on Humira. The thing that sucks is that I've been on 6mp for many years and it's been a lifesaver for me. I've never had any problems but the skin problems but they are progressively getting worse and I fear skin cancer. I too am blonde and fair skinned, with a lot of prior sun exposure. I literally have had 100s of bumps, warts, etc spreading. Too much for me to continue on 6mp.

Best of luck to you.