• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Skin is so sore and blistered

I changed my bag today and the skin surrounding the stoma is all red, blistered and itchy.

I changed it Friday due to a leak and it was fine - no leak since then.

I've been using my current bags with paste for 2 weeks and they had really helped my skin which was very sore from previous bags leaking.

I'm wondering if it could be cavilon that's caused it? It kind of looks like a burn? Any leaks I've had have always been out of 2 sides never all over so I can't see it's output burn?

I vaguely remember a stoma nurse post op saying cavilon can irritate so I was wondering if anyone else had had a similar problem?

Thanks
Clare

Terriernut

Clare, I've never had a problem with cavilon. But I am guessing that your stoma is shrinking still a bit? That could be causing leaks that are causing the issue with your skin?

Also, it could be output getting under the paste as your stoma is shrinking. Anyway, can you try the crusting method and changing every day? Also, showering with the bag off to let the water help your skin, and of course getting it extra squeeky clean.

Sorry about that, this is the worst problem to get control of sometimes. I hope that you arent having a reaction to anything.

My skin reacted to the tube paste, so I switched to Coloplast Bravo strip paste and haven't had problems like I did before. I agree with Misty, though; I bet your stoma is shrinking. Possibly cutting the bags smaller will help.

Thanks guys - I will measure Kermit next time I change him. I changed last night due to how itchy it was and I figured I must have a leak - no leak at all but the skin was itching off so I smothered it in sudocrem then rubbed it all in till it was dry and rebadged and today there's no itching. I've spoken to my supplier and they are sending different paste and barrier cream to see if any of that helps. The main sore area is not where I leak so I don't think it's output burn. I had forgotten about stoma shrinkage so thanks for reminding me on that one.

Terriernut

It does sound like a reaction to the adhesive or the paste. Hopefully a change of product will do the trick!

Well I've measured him and he's not shrunk - I am now thinking that I'm maybe not using enough barrier?

Been using the little stick things but there's not a huge amount in one of them.

Bullens are sending me samples of barrier sprays and creams and different paste.

The sudocrem helped as when I changed today it was a lot better - I'm wondering if I'm better changing daily?

Little stick things as in Coloplast stick paste? Are you squishing it flat before you use it? With my ileo, I use half a stick with each bag change.

I had to change every other day for the first 8 months. For whatever reason, it just sort of shifted to where I now can go 3 to 4 days before needing to do a bag change. Everybody is different, however. If you have the clear bags, you should be able to see when the baseplate is starting to separate from the stoma and then you know it is time to change.

So glad that your skin is already improving. Whew!!!

My stoma didn't shrink as much as they said it would until just recently (I'm 8 weeks post-op now). I measured on Monday and he had gone down from 1.25"x.75" to 1"x.5" I was super surprised cause I thought it would be done shrinking by now. Apparently not.

Anyways when I do my changes I put the powder on (blow off the excess) and then the barrier liquid to set the powder and I repeat this 2 or 3 layers worth (if he cooperates). I've finally been able to clear up some of the output burns I had from the first couple weeks this way.

Have you tried barrier rings? I had problems with my skin and someone on here recommended I try them and they helped a lot. I use rings with convatec powder instead of using paste's and sprays. Like Crohnsforlife has said, changing more often sometimes can just cause more irritation from pulling the bag off.

Hope you get things sorted soon.

Just a quick little FYI. I don't know which barrier paste you are using but the Convatec paste has alcohol in it so when you apply it around the flange you need to wait about 2-3 mins before applying the flange to your skin, to allow the alcohol to evaporate from the paste. It used to always sting and be slightly irritated when I put my flange on until my stoma nurse informed me of this. Again I only use the Convatec paste so I don't know if this applies for all of them. Anyways I don't know if that's of any help but I just thought that I would mention it. Oh I was also wondering about the sudocreme, isn't it sort of greasy? Does it not affect the adheasiveness of your flange?? Just curious.

Kat

I've been wondering about the sudocream too. We call it bum cream in this house, as we used it on the kids bums when they were babies. Great stuff but I would be worried the flange would just slide off??

I had to use barrier rings to stop this from happening. The paste just washed out too fast. With an Eakin seal I could go for a week with no issues. Try the stoma powders to help heal the burn. Apply it and dust if off, apply the barrier ring to your stomach, then the wafer, then the next change you should be healed up as long as the leaking is under control. Some folks do have allergies to the wafers themselves

Re the sudocrem I rubbed a small amount on, covered Kermit with dry wipes, rubbed it in then wiped it off till it wasn't greasy. So the healing property was absorbed but the greasiness was gone.

I don't get on with rings or the putty type paste as my stoma output is so watery and fast I need a bag I can slap on! Facing with rings and things means Kermit spurts all over them I need to have a bag pasted up ready then slap it on!

Terriernut

Re the sudocrem I rubbed a small amount on, covered Kermit with dry wipes, rubbed it in then wiped it off till it wasn't greasy. So the healing property was absorbed but the greasiness was gone.

I don't get on with rings or the putty type paste as my stoma output is so watery and fast I need a bag I can slap on! Facing with rings and things means Kermit spurts all over them I need to have a bag pasted up ready then slap it on!
Clever with the sudocreme there!! When I first got Stan...he was a monster volcano! But I got wind of a trick with the rings. I put the ring on my wafer first! My skin was so bad I had to, and Stan wouldnt stop for love or money. So, I figured a way around it. Worked a treat.

I always fit the rings to the bag first. When I step out of the shower I dry the area, use the cavilon then slap the kitted out bag on. If I'm not quick miss piggy will start up, it's like a game really.

I will keep that sudocraem tip in mind. I think I migh try and get Persephone to look at this, it may help her with her burns.

Hi Fruitloop, I just wanted to share as I have a little different method. I prefer the large Eakin seals over any protective film or paste. Fits right over the stoma and for me, it does a better job of protecting the skin How tall is your stoma? Are you using a bag with a convex flange/wafer? The convexity really helps if your stoma is short. Once I started using the Eakin seals and pouches with convexity, I increased my wear time from 3-4 days to 6-7. Let us know what works for you!

Hobbes - do you use the wafer under the pouch? I.e cut a hole in it so it goes over the stoma? Then put pouch on? Or are Eakins seals the rings?

Would I still paste the pouch or paste b4 the wafer?

I use convex with paste but I'm still leaking a lot (twice last night)

Thanks

I have a few eye shaped ring things - are they them?

Hobbes - do you use the wafer under the pouch? I.e cut a hole in it so it goes over the stoma? Then put pouch on? Or are Eakins seals the rings?

Thanks

I guess they are also called rings. Here is a picture from the Convatec site:

http://www.convatec.com/en/cvtus-pr...tml?franchise=46&typesearch=187&proddett=2371

They come in two sizes- large and small. I use the large ones. They are easily moldable, so you can make the opening in the middle bigger. I like the large ones since it gives my skin more protection, and I put the ring on over my stoma first. The small ones should probably be placed on the pouch first. Not sure what you mean about the eye shaped rings, but the small Eakin rings are probably very similar. As mentioned, the larger ones I prefer. Perhaps try putting the large seal on first, then put a small on directly over the pouch before putting the pouch on. Not sure it would help at all- I tried that once and didn't see much improvement. The other thing I would do if I was leaking, is to put some paper tape around the edges of the bag. I find my bag is much more secure when I tape it down this way. But the large Eakin rings and having a convex pouch are the two best things that keep me from leaking.

Terriernut

Thanks

Are you still shrinking? (not YOU...your stoma) I found the rings, yes them, really helped alot. I shape them around my stoma, as they are very mouldable. I use the thin ones from coloplast. They are mainly used instead of paste.

Hi Clare I am sorry you are having this trouble. I don't have a stoma myself but I did have a similar reaction to dressings I had to wear for a while when I had my belly button packed. Obviously I only had to wear these for 3 weeks but you have to carry on with this so its essential to get it sorted as soon as possible.
I hope that some of the suggestions you have received work for you. Keep us updated with your progress.

Take care

Helen